Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:41:53 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Windage Trays and Lubrication Issues (Air and Water Cooled)
Comments: To: FrankGRUN@aol.com
Comments: cc: gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM

Thanks for your in depth response to the Windage tray. Having many years of racing behind me I've purchased many $300.00 oil pans, many dry sump systems and fabricated bunches of oil tanks. Since I was racing in the 60s to late 70s things were not quite as expensive as they are today. In discussions with Bob Donalds we discussed stretching another ten useable horsepower out of the Air Cooled Type IV engines. Horse power seems to be directly related to money in the case of the Type IV with each additional HP costing about $100.00 each over and above standard short block rebuilding cost. Your input about the Windage trays leads me to believe that the use of a windage tray will improve engine performance and longevity with only reasonable cost involved. Regardless of any HP gain I see that a stock tray will build a better engine even without the very techno additions used by professional racers. I'm certainly not looking for it to give me ten HP but overall increase engine life and be step one of working towards that desired ten HP.

Thanks Stan Wilder