Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Mar 2002 08:32:23 -0800
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Windage Trays and Lubrication Issues (Air and Water Cooled)
Comments: To: FrankGRUN@aol.com

Frank et al,

I can attest (understanding that one data point does not a curve make!) to the overfilling phenomenon. Recently did oil change on my I4, over filled by approx. 0.5 litres and experienced a noticeable (i.e. 5-10 degree C) increase in oil temp when driving familiar stretch of hwy.

The increased temp of course reduced oil pressure, and it had me worried until I calmed down and checked pressure vs. temp (all within spec).

Funny thing about this was the increased oil temp behaviour was different than what one experiences during hard driving. May sound a little vague and flaky, but the temp climbed slowly (understandable as I was not driving hard) and did not come down as quickly as one would expect when off the hwy and driving around town.

A while back Frank sent me a diagram showing the levels of oil in the 55 degree Vanagon diesel/I4 gas installation.

Haven't posted on my website - hate it when work interferes with hobbies!- but will make a point of doing so ASAP to help with this discussion.

Alistair

-- '82 Westy -> diesel converted to gas in '94 albell@uvic.ca http://homepage.mac.com/alistairbell/home/