Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Mar 2002 13:26:46 -0500
From:         Karen Gritis <gritis@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Michelin XT LT4s for 91 Vanagon

Okay, I know that tires have been done to death, so I didn't ask anybody on the list; I went to the website and looked in the archives and arrived at my decision (or so I thought). I went out to buy 4 Michelin XT LT4s to replace my worn out Michelin MXTs. This isn't as simple as it sounds. The XT is available only through Sears or NTB. I wasn't happy when I found out the mounting, balancing, etc., to include alignment added up to 175.00 on top of the cost of the tires, which at 76.99 were an okay deal. I bagged the Sears thing for today, due to the prices and went looking elsewhere to find a suitable tire for my vanagon.

I went to a Just Tires shop right down the street from the Sears. They gave me all kinds of what I think is misinformation, but I just thanked them and left. Could you of the list clarify some doubts that were raised after listening to the guys at Just Tires and Goodyear Tire?

* 6 ply versus reinforced sidewall - the same thing or two different animals? I need the reinforced sidewall on my vanagon, right? All the tire guys are telling me that all I need is a 6 ply tire and not to worry about the reinforced sidewall. * Michelin Agilis - suitable or unsuitable for the vanagon? These guys say that Michelin recommends them for the vanagon, but the Vanagon website seems to indicate that this would not be wise, due to sidewall cracks. I did see the Michelin literature and it recommends the Agilis for "light or compact vans". That's not my definition of a vanagon. * Just for curiousity, does anyone remember what tires came on the vanagon? I have a spare that I'm running right now that the Just Tires guy says is the original equipment tire, it's a Continental, he says the size is 20570R14, I thought I needed 19575R14. This doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks in advance for helping to clear up my confusion.

Karen