Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:25:43 EST
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Gas Vanagon to Diesel Conversion?

OK, I hate to open another can of worms but the other day I was talking to some folks who are selling engine conversion kits that allow you to install 1.9l NA or turbo diesel engines into waterboxer Vanagons.

They are located in California and have already done a few vans this way. When they first told me about this, I thought, "No way, you can't put a diesel in a gas van because you would still have to meet the emission standards for the gas van and the diesel can't do that." The company that is selling the kits insist that it is only a matter of going to the referee and telling them that you have swapped a diesel engine into your originally gas powered van and now you are held to the same emissions requirements of diesel powered vehicles (which are pretty much non-exsistant). I didn't believe them, so I called my New Jersey emissions testing folks and asked them what they thought about the idea. Our emissions testing is pretty similar to California now as we have hired a company from California to come and do emissions testing in NJ. They said all I would have to do for this conversion would be to fill out a "Reconstruction form" and then be sure that the emissions euipment of the diesel engine is the same as that year standards. I don't think this is a big problem for most Vangons as I don't think they started requiring diesels to have catalytic convertors, etc. until after 91 (I guess I'll have to do more research if I am actually going to do one of these conversions).

Here is the information on the kits: They come in two flavors, 1.9l NA (naturally aspirated) or 1.9l Turbo (AAZ). Both kits come with brand new motors, complete with injection pumps, injectors, timing belt, turbo (if applicable), intake and exhaust. They also come with coolant hoses, and an expansion tank with mounting bracket. Engine carrier bars, engine mounts, liquid filled rubber mounts (supposed to help vibration), flywheel, and adapter plate (I am not sure if they are making these kits for automatic). The engines are mounted at the stock angle of the car installation and not tilted like the diesel Vanagon or Tiico conversion. This, of course, makes the engine come up above the stock rear deck. However the kit includes a raised rear deck (about three inches higher) that gives you a stock look (it appears to be carpeted and you can use your stock fiberglass engine cover with it). If you have a Westy I believe you can get a different hinge for the bed to allow for this higher deck and still be able to use your bed.

The kits are $4950 for the 1.9l NA and $5950 for the 1.9l TD. This includes shipping to anywhere in the US. They are claiming 26 mpg with the 1.9l NA and 28 mpg with the 1.9l Turbo.

So what do you think? The coolest part about this conversion is the lack of any wiring mods to make it work. You would have to send a power wire to the fuel pump solenoid and that is it. Then your engine management would be completely mechanical.

I have compared a few of the hp and torque numbers that are available for the diesel and waterboxer engines. The TD looks like the nicer choice of the two having slightly less hp than the 1.9l waterboxer, but more low end torque (about the same as the 2.1l waterboxer). The 1.9l NA diesel would be closer to the performance of an aircooled Vanagon (according the numbers I have anyway).

Any comments would be appreciated. If there is alot of interest I could post the few pictures I have to the net to give you a better idea of what this conversion looks like (looks pretty stock to me).

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com Phone: (856)-765-1583 Fax: (856)-327-2242