Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:47:25 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: LP vent cover
Comments: To: Brent Christensen <sbsyncro@HOTMAIL.COM>

At 04:38 PM 3/27/2002, Brent Christensen wrote: >>>Also if it rains or if one goes through a car wash without the vent cover, >>>where does the water go inside the van? Does it drain somewhere or does it >>>get stuck inside the van to create potential rust problems? >> >>It fills up your refrigerator flue which sits there full of water until you >>open the drain plug at the front of the fridge and drain it all out. > >I bought one about a year ago from TBD for about $10. It lasted about a >month and then blew off/got stolen. Haven't replaced it since. Haven't >tried the margerine tub trick. Don't see the need, to be honest.

They aren't meant to be used except when washing the vehicle -- they're not sun-resistant. Manual says flue should be uncovered at all times except when washing.

>I wash the car every one to two weeks or so, plus the car sits outside in >the rain. I have never had anything drain out of that drain plug. Even >when the fridge has been running... (and yes it is clear, because I can >blow air into it and into the combustion chamber....

I think it depends on the exact angle of the water spray -- you really have to work at it to get water under the lip at an angle where it will enter the flue. I've never seen a drop out of the drain, though I've heard maybe one report of one that was half-full.