Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:16:37 -0600
From:         "Smola, Tony" <TSmola@TRIBUNE.COM>
Subject:      performance and reliability

I've been getting conflicting info regarding performance cams, stroker cranks, heads, rod bolts, etc.

Here are a few topics for the gearheads to discuss:

1) What cams are best for a perofrmance 2.1L? what are the lifts and durations for the 1.9L vs 2.1L......vs the engle 100( 278" lift w/ 420 duration) I was told that the engle 100 is the most agressive cam that will work in a fuel injected WBX I found a list of the engle cams here http://www.gex.com/12lbopt.htm

2) stroker cranks: I've read that the 2.1L case has more clearance than the 1.9L and can take up to a 90mm stroke......although strokes more than 82mm are not reccommended for longevity. So, 82mm is the stroke to strive for........$500 for Demello.......$1500 for Gene Berg forged

3) question: using 1.9L heads have less cc's in them and therefore raise the compression ratio if used on a 2.1L

4) 1.9L rod bolts are stronger than 2.1L rod bolts?

5) 1.9L mains are more difficult to find than 2.1L main bearings?

6) waterboxer cases rarely need allign boring?

7) bottom ends on the waterboxer are almost bulletproof.....it's the heads and headgaskets that usually fail

8) custom pistons for the 82 x 94mm bore run around 350-500 for the set

9) ratio rockers are good for top end, but put excessive sideload on the valveguides

10) porting is a useful tool for more breathability

11) counterweighted cranks are not necessary for a daily driver waterboxer that is used as basic transport

12) chromemolly spring retainers and race keepers?

13) fake full flow using the oil pump plate?

14) sandwhich plates for external oil coolers?

15) euro DH pistons are 10:1 compression, but what sort of fuel must be used?

16) how much material can be removed from the top of a piston safely if stroking a motor?

17) what sort of benefits does the 2.1L have in cooling than the 1.9L?

18) what mileage is expected from a 1.9L digijet vs 2.1L digifant?......both w/ manual trans.....is the fant better?

19) heavy duty oil pump?....waste of time and hardware?

20) are German rebuilt heads actually better than AMC's w/ good valves?

I think we should go through all of these issues and come up with a set of posted criteria that vanagonites use when rebuilding to stock or up to 2.1L or beyond.......

Malibu Tony