Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Mar 2002 19:17:51 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: advice on head leak
Comments: To: James Demer <demerjames@HOTMAIL.COM>

I would contact the dealer ASAP. As long as there is no evidence of you doing something to promote the failure, they will try to fix it. The main problem you may have is that there are no more replacement engines available through them. Don't bother to re-torque the heads. If the leakage is there, it is too late and any benefit of re-tourqing will be temporary.

Dennis

My 1986 syncro westy has a dealer installed factory rebuilt 2.1l motor that was installed a year and a half ago. I have put less than 6000 miles on the motor and I am having the problem of serious pressure in my coolant system on highway drives. after trying every fix I can think of, I believe it is a head gasket leak. I guess the advice I am looking for is: 1. Do I have any leg to stand on with the dealer to try to get a warranty fix? (warranty was 12months, 12,000 miles) 2. If I get no break from the dealer, is there any chance of just re-torking the heads without pulling the motor? My dilemma is that I cant really spend another grand or more on the van right now, but I dont want to really damage a newish motor. Thanks for any input!

James Demer 1986 syncro westy

_____