Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:34:47 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      RX7 oil cooler info update/Audi Oil temp Sender
Comments: cc: wetwesties@yahoogroups.com

Here is what I've done: #1.Audi sender in the oil bypass port. (the port with the big screwdriver slot next to the oil filter)You'll need three copper washer spacers for proper bypass spring tension. You'll just have to match the sender BAR to the gauge or try to get the full set from an 87 Audi500GT Coupe or a matched set . (copper washer from the RX 7 cooler work for spacers) I've also used a standard VDO sender in a drilled sump plate and get 5/10 c degerees variance in the temp readings. I suspect that the Audi readings are higher because of the heat transfer from the engine block through the threads. The ideal situation would to have a teflon heat isolation sleve to fit either sender.

#2. Installed Mazda RX7 Oil cooler under my van it has a 148 degreeF thermostat, I ran the lines with a oil filter sandwich plate (generic item from List Vendors) 60" from sandwich plate, 1/2" lines.

The 130 c = 266 f and yes it was hot. That is why I installed the oil cooler. I could lower the temperature in the engine by reducing load / speed and get it to run in the 100/120 c range. I think you need at least 200 f for your oil to work properly. Any colder than this and it doesn't bleed past your oil pressure plungers properly for the bypass process.

Remember that this is a new engine and is very tight, 80+ (6 bar +) oil pressure on startups and for the next twenty minutes, 22-28 psi at operating temp idling at 800-900, 45-50 at 2400 rpm, 60+ (4.5 bar) at 3300 rpm. This engine only has 5000 miles on it and I expect it to loosten up and run cooler in the future but I'm OK with the system the way I've got it.

I haven't gotten to our hottest days here in Texas and they start in late June and run through August but I'm confident that the RX7 cooler will be sufficient (might add a scoop or fan, got plenty of room).

Nienty percent of the time I can run 70 mph or 75 mph (3300-3500 rpm)and maintain the same oil temp and cylinder head temp, it just doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm guessing this is the optimum for the Type IV pushing 5300 pounds. Smaller vehicles would certainly get different readings. CHT 350/370 normal.

There are a few other things that need to be addressed and I haven't explored them: #1, The stock single bypass on the Type 4 2000cc engine is supposed to bypass at 47 PSI. I haven't tested this or modified the spring tension since I'm holding 60+ at 3000+ rpms. General consensus is to replace the spring and plunger with a new so I'm working with a known starting value. #2. The oil filter mount has a bypass check ball, also the sandwich plate has an oil bypass check ball. The OEM bypass check ball is supposed to be plugged with a freeze plug when the sandwich adapter is installed. I have not blocked this return port. The sandwich plate check valve is supposed to raise oil pressure so as to accomidate lower pressures when the oil cooler is installed. #3. The OEM Type 4 oil cooler is still in place, I'm leaving it there. #4. It is said the the 1800 oval port heads have larger valves and they naturally run cooler than CV engine series square port heads. This combination of installed parts would warrant an article in a VW publication but here in the US Vanagons and Type IV engines are seldom addressed in the mags.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:48:02 +0000 "Nigel Anthony Skeet" <naskeet@hotmail.com> writes: > From: Nigel A. Skeet > To: Stan Wilder > Date: 28th March 2002 > Reply to: naskeet@hotmail.com > > Dear Stan. > > I was interested to read your July 2001 postings about the oil > temperature > range observed with your 1983 VW 2000 Type 2 Westfalia motorcaravan, > under a > variety of hot summer weather conditions in Texas, USA. > > I also noted your discovery that a 1987 Audi GT oil-temperature > sender unit > can be used to replace the standard oil by-pass plug on your > air-cooled > engine. > > Am I correct in thinking that is the large plug with screw-driver > slot, > which screws in underneath the bottom of the crankcase, rather than > the > small plug in the form of an XZN socket screw, which screws in the > side of > the crankcase, near the pushrod tubes? > > Do you by chance know any more about the origin of the > oil-temperature > sender (e.g. the VW-Audi part number) and whether it is compatible > with the > VDO Cockpit accessory 50~150 deg.C oil-temperature gauge. > > In the near future, I shall be fitting a 1911cc VW 17/1800 Type 2 & > 4 hybrid > engine (hybridised from a VW 411LE & two 1974~75 VW 1800 Type 2 > engines), to > my 1973 VW '1600' Type 2 Westfalia Continental motorcaravan, which I > hope to > equip with a Swedish specification oil-sump immersion heater. Hence > an > alternative location for an oil-temperature sender would be rather > useful. > > I have experienced ambient air temperatures, in excess of 30 deg.C, > during > hot summers in Europe and Great Britain, when the oil-temperature of > our > 1600 engine peaked at 115~120 deg.C, but from what I've heard so far > about > VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 & 4 engines, yours seems to be running rather > hot. > > Do other listees in Texas experience noticeably lower oil > temperatures than > you found with your newly rebuilt engine? 130 deg.F seems rather > high! > > I would be interested to learn more about the correlation between > oil > temperature and ambient air temperature, under different conditions > of > speed, engine load, gradient and altitude, etc. > > During the past few years, I have been trying to compile a book of > useful > technical tips (of type not found in workshop manuals), > modifications, > upgrades and improvements, pertaining to the 1968~83 VW Type 2 and > related > vehicles. I don't have a monopoly on good ideas or knowledge, so I > am hoping > to include contributions from fellow owners, plus workers in the > automotive > and allied trades. > > So far, a few of my technical articles have been published in the VW > > Motoring Magazine, plus the magazine and technical information > booklets of > the British VW Type 2 Owners Club (about 2,500 fully paid up > members). > > > You said in July 2001 > > > >I'm useing an 87 Audi GT sending unit that screws directly into the > oli > >bypass valve (replacing the stock plug) I'm showing 130 celsius or > about > >266 degrees faremheit. > > >Most list members claim to running about 240 degrees farenheit but > >although my oil temp is reading high I don't think the oil is realy > 266 > >hot. > > >My engine is new and I'd suspect that it may drop some after > breakin. > >The outside temperature here in Texas has been between 90 nand 100 > daily so > >I'd expect a little hot. Around town just average driving I'm > running 212 > >to 220, but a highway speeds it climbs on up there to 266. > > > >Stan Wilder > >83 Westfalia Air cooled > ----------------------------- From: Nigel A. Skeet To: Stan Wilder Date: 28th March 2002 Reply to: naskeet@hotmail.com