Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Mar 2002 20:06:01 -0500
From:         Robert Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      Web Cam update After market cams for the 2.1 WBX

Fellow vanagon types I spent some Quality time on the phone with Deb and Steve at Web Cam today. When I told Deb that I wanted to talk about 2.1 cam options. Deb mentioned that she has been getting calls all week on this. I explained that she was getting some exposure the vanagon list. she said I made her blush. I pretty much got the same answers the rest of you got. We have 2 versions of the 2.1 cams the 91 grind and the 107 grind. These are hydraulic grinds with slightly more duration and more exhaust lift on one. you can down load the web cam catalog at http://www.webcaminc.com I pushed the Idea of a bug cam that might be used and they said there only bug hydraulic grind was the 91 grind same as the wbx regrind they offer.They insisted that you cant use a bug cam in a hydraulic engine. I had to ask what if we go with a solid lifter then could we use a selection from bug cam list? Wait while I get Steve Deb says. Now we are starting to get some where. I have spoken with Steve in the past but the trick is to get past Deb to speak with him. Steve has been around the block a time or 2 and he knows the bumpstick business like the back of his hand. I asked him what cam would you recommend for the WBX engine if we went to a solid lifter cam? At first he did not want to make a recommendation and I pressed him some more. You could experiment with a 86 or a 119 cam they don't have much more lift and they have a little more duration But the injection might not like it. I told him the only way to increase spring pressure was to shim and he thought that would do it because the lift was not much more than stock with the 86 or 119. So the bottom line is that it would be a test of sorts to see if the solid lifter cams would feed the need for more power. He also said the bug cams might not let the engine stay clean at Idle as he put it. Let me translate The engine at Idle might load up with one of these cams and run rich or the intake manifold vacuum signal could get week due to the increased duration this might lead to stalling this is not the kind of thing that should be considered in an automatic with no flywheel and the need for crisp throttle response. anybody feeling lucky Im tempted Bob Donalds Http://www.bostonengine.com