Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:12:40 -0800
From:         Walter Evens <wrevens@MYEXCEL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Using American engines for Vanagon swap - why the heck not? -
              Long
Comments: To: phil stanhope <napszeerf@YAHOO.COM>

I think you may have it wrong. It should be the other way around. Why settle for a baboon heart (1.9 or 2.1 Water Boxer) when you could have a human heart (4.3L Chevy V-6). I know I'm going to tick a few people off with this. I've hesitated posting it for the past couple of weeks now. Even after some one bashed the Astro Van during the Eurovan thread.

I had to go out and purchase a reliable van. We settled for a Chevy Astro Van (seats 8) with a 4 speed overdrive automatic transmission and the only engine it comes with is a 4.3L V-6. Mine is used so it has Throttle Body Injection and 165HP. This years models have Multi-Port and 190 ponies. I had a Ford Escort once that had over 200,000 miles on it before it was totaled. It also had TBI. All I did was brakes, timing belts, clutch, tires, fluid and filter changes, tune ups, belts and hoses.

I really didn't want to as I detest car payments. The last car I had payments on started wearing out half way through the payment book. Luckily I put enough down that I'll only pay on this one for a year. Yeah, I know I could have put that money in my Vanagon, but I was renting a car and had to have something quick. Besides the guy at the Bone Yard told me most Vanagon owners have a second more reliable vehicle. He drives a T-Bird to work.

Don't get me wrong Volks, I love my Vanagon. I love the configuration. I love the engineering. I love the quiet ride. I love the interior room, especially the leg room (which is seriously lacking in the Astro. The only seat I fit comfortably in is the driver's seat). I just got tired of worrying about making it home if I drove it somewhere. Every time I fixed one problem some other problem would develop. However, when it ran, it ran great. Once you got it up to speed, it cruised fine. I even found myself having to back off the pedal on flat spots on the freeway. I was starting to enjoy it and then bam, now it's sitting in front of my house waiting for me to fix it (the weather has been cold and windy here in So Cal, believe it or not).

I have been on this list for about a month and a half. I have read posts from people with similar problems, fix it and then something else breaks. People taking a trip (or even afraid to take a trip) and then complaining about some sort of mechanical problem they encountered on the way home or sometimes barely making it home. People stuck in places like Northern California or Texas because their Vanagons broke down.

I wanted to keep mine and fix it up, but now I'm having second thoughts. My current plan is to rid myself of all foreign cars and just buy American with TBI. If mine was a Syncro Westy, I'd probably keep it as there is nothing else on Earth like it.

My father-in-law has had Vanagons for years and hasn't really had all of the major problems I've read about on the list. The other one sitting in my drive way never gave me a bit of hassle except that it wouldn't start after my wife accidentally bumped the automatic into low coming up a grade at 45mph in second gear. Before that it started every time and ran fine. Although I did have to replace a leaky water pump once, but I had to do that twice on a Ford I owned. Any way, my Astro Van has twice the displacement, twice the horse power and get this, the same gas mileage as my '85GL. The parts are more readily available. The TBI system has less parts (one injector, no AFM, etc.) There are several companies who make performance chips and parts for it. If I could find a way to put a 4.3L Chevy in my Vanagon, I'd most definitely keep it.

Lastly, the Eurovans look more like a Dodge Caravan or Plymouth Voyager than an Astro Van in my opinion (I didn't get a chance to comment on that one).

Walter Evens Hesperia, CA, USA (altitude 3200) 2-85GLs

----- Original Message ----- From: "phil stanhope" <napszeerf@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 8:45 PM Subject: Re: Using American engines for Vanagon swap - why the heck not?