Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Mar 2002 03:48:21 +0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fridge Fan wiring

Barry said -

<snip> I'd like to install the "matchbook" fan in my fridge in the westy. Gotta keep the Molson's cold don't ya know! <snip

Barry -

There have been a few other good posts, but I did it a bit differently. As far as the wiring goes, I think there's a circuit diagram on the top of the fridge. Here's the relevant bit out of a post from May '99

Various ideas had been discussed for controlling the inside fan, but I wanted something that was at least semi-automatic. Even though it's a very small current draw, I didn't want to accidentally leave it running for a week when I wasn't using the van.

The best method seemed to be a thermostat, and rather than trying to fit one inside the fridge, or figure out how to use the existing one, I bought a small snap disc fan control. It closes as the temperature goes up, and opens when it drops. This one is a disc about 3/4" in diameter and thickness mounted in an oval metal plate about 1 1/2" long. That's small enough so I could pop apart the metal housing that surrounds the heating elements on the back of the fridge and push it into the insulation.

Snap disc thermostats come in a variety of temperatures. My meat thermometer showed that the metal vent pipe inside the insulation got up to about 190 degrees F after half an hour on gas. I didn't have a powerful 12 volt supply to test the fridge on that power source, but I was sure the temp would be less, so I chose a thermostat that closed at 130 F and then re-opened when it cooled down to 115 F. Two of them cost me $16 with shipping from Johnstone Supply.

I ran power from the block on the top rear of the fridge. Be sure to use the fan circuit, not the heater circuit, if you do that because the heater circuit won't work if the ignition is off.

I used some hi-temperature wire for the part of the circuit that was close to the heat, and put a small switch in the front of the refrigerator, so I could turn the fan off manually when I didn't want it to run. The fan is rather noisy, so I mounted it inside a block of stiff foam, with appropriate sized holes for air flow, and wedged it in on top of the cooling fins at the back of the fridge. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It has been working in the fridge since then. I can tell if the (gas, 12v or 110v) has gotten hot when the fan runs, which is a bonus. On a really quiet night, I can still hear it whirring away, so I'm glad I wired the switch in.

- Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow, ID

mike_l_f@hotmail.com