Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Mar 2002 23:26:10 +0100
From:         Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>
Subject:      Re: fuel leak
Comments: To: Ed Sato <edsato@JUNO.COM>

snipped------ under each front fender where the plastic fuel overflow tank is i have a leak when i full up with gas each time. does anyone know if i should just replace the two hoses on each or if i need to replace the plastic containers. it looks like the hoses themselves are just soaked from gasoline. end snipped------

I just bought the part 251-201-147-B from my dealer. It is the black hard plastic formed tube, which has 2 white "Y-connectors" on each end. On the top of the gas tank, you will see, when you pull the wheel, and look back in there, past the brake line, this crazy contraption. On my Vanagon, One tube was broken from the "Y-connector" and was spilling fuel after filling up... it is a very common problem.

The plastic containers on the sides are expansion tanks, and do not really hold gasoline (unless something crazy were to happen). They just allow the pressure of the sealed fuel system to remain relatively stable, as fuel is pumped in, or drained out (and keep gas vapor from escaping all over too).

My advice would be to check all the components of this system (it is outlined clearly in Bentley) and replace all defective parts... including the lines running from the tank "Y-connectors" to the plastic expansion tanks (they tend to rot with age). I have been told that this all can be done without dropping the tank. I will attempt it on the next warm weekend.

You should also replace the rubber gaskets on the tank (where the "Y-connectors" go in), which are part 251-259-371-C I believe, while you are in there.

Robert S. Fish Salzburg, Austria 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender 1987 Golf Cabriolet 1991 Golf