Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Mar 2002 15:46:55 EST
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Comment on 2.1 WBx vs. 2.2 Sub vs. Tiico (was The problem
              with TIICO)  <F>
Comments: To: cchiang1@yahoo.com

My comments interspersed with your text (the reasonable, moderate and thoughtful ones are mine! - also in bold italics for those pursuing the Liberal Arts). In a message dated 3/29/02 3:14:47 AM, cchiang1@YAHOO.COM writes:

<< It's nice to see you dispariging Subies differently in this post (nothing about them being "ashamed" of their performance by not publishing HP and torque curves).

My disparaging remarks are heartfelt. Fuji Heavy is the essence of a technically exploitive corporation. No major automotive manufacturer has a poorer record of contributing to the technical literature. To say nothing about documenting the performance pf their products. This is clearly corporate policy to proceed on sales fluff. A method tested, tried and true by GM, Ford and Chrysler in the 50's and 60's.

My Subie 2.2 "feels" stronger down low than the Tiico I drove, although I agree that one cannot count on "seat of the pants" impressions. Since we have no published data to prove otherwise, are you willing to concede that it is at least *possible* that the Subie 2.2 has at LEAST as much torque as a VW 2.1 WB "down low", while having more torque at the higher RPMs also?

Nope, never. I have had the misfortune of renting several Subaru variations (I think the total stands at 6) at participating rental locations. Now admittedly these were in their designed-for chassi, unmodified, stock, and usually with no less that 10K on the clock and not more than 25K. All were all wheel drive versions. All were dogs. In the Colorado mountains, I was constantly passed by anything on 4 wheels. The engines are simply dead to the stick compared to a free revving Mazda, Toyota, Nissan or ... VW. Frankly, the only way to keep the slug moving was to keep the engine above 4K. Fuel economy was in the 18 to 22 range (yes I know some of the Shinto mavens here never get less than 25, pushing their vanagon conversions at 75 and above --- and I have an appointment with a UFO on Tuesday to review my model of the Martian polar ice cap). So, I've only driven 2.2L cars, latest was last August, but they have no low end torque to speak of. It seemed to me that the system was tuned to a torque max in the mid 4K to 5K range, just starting up on the cam at around 3500 or so. Below 3500, a dog, flat. Feels like an old Mazda rotary.

Now, we could debate the sensitivity of the accelerometer in my gluteus as compared to yours. In my younger days, as a hobby, I raced Porsche 911s, Mazda Rotaries, BMW 2002s, Datsuns, and various VWs. I've also spun up Nortons, Triumphs, Yamahas, Kawasakis, Hondas, and Suzukis (on the test track in Japan - incredible!). In an even younger period, I raced 50 Mercurys, Hudsons and Kaisers. Come to think of it, the low end performance of the Subies was very similar to the Hudson Jet!

So no!. At best, the Subie will be similar to the 1.8L VW I4!

Even if this is not so, say for example the Subie's torque did not exceed the VW WB's until 3000 RPM, how much time does one actually spend revving thru that lower RPM range, anyway?

Hmm, I visit that band all the time!

Finally, I am shocked (shocked!) that you would stray from your normally fact-based comments, and delve into supposition (using the terms "appear" and "probably"), while at the same time making "fact"-like statements ("will not be competitive") that you clearly cannot PROVE without data! Please, either stick to your normal scientific analysis, or give half-baked opinions like many others do, but not BOTH at the same time!

Guilty as charged. Mixing fluff statements (like the output potential of the Subaru system) is painful enough. But I included the Suburu comments in spite of my better judgment. No data, no data, only proselytizing victims.

Cary >>