Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Mar 2002 06:57:18 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: piston rings----the good, the bad and the ugly
Comments: To: vgonman@MSN.COM

Don't be ragging on Tony, we're all hanging back so we can watch him spend $4000.00 on an engine and then we're all going to jump up and say "We Told You So!!!!". Hey! Everybody wants what they want, I bought a GMC Diesel Pickup Truck in 1980. It was so sorry I could only run it 11K in two years. I had to buy a Ford F100 as a backup. Every automotive publication had glowing reports on the GMC diesels, now I know who their biggest advertiser was.

Stan

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002 06:49:50 -0500 Vanagon man <vgonman@MSN.COM> writes: > Tony, > > > I've heard that Deves rings are the choice of rings, second only > to German > > > > The 2.2L kits have Grant rings which are caca.....the pistons made > in > > Taiwan....I havn't heard much about these......any thoughts? > > > > Total Seal......not good for waterboxer daily driver > > > > Are you basing all this info on people you are told are good at > rebuilding > these motors or, you have actually done this yourself? The list > goes on and > on with this stuff! Who says about total seal? Why would they not > be good? > Ever seen one? > > Get a hold of yourself man! There is a big difference between > building > hundreds of these motors (like Boston Bob) and calling someone like > GEX and > asking about cams in the WBX. Lots of people will tell you what you > want to > hear, and lots of folks will blow you off, knowing you aren't going > to buy > anything and are busy. > > It is great what you are trying to do for yourself, but like I have > already > stated, find someone with this big engine you seek, and drive a > stocker that > has a quality rebuild. The difference might not be worth the extra > couple > thousand you would have to sink into it, as a matter of fact I KNOW > it > wouldn't be. Other vans manufactured at the same time at the time > were > having 4 liter plus motors in there cars to get the power you are > seeking. > A 2,2, 2.5 whatever will still have its limitations, for it is > pushing a > huge, heavy box. > > > > > > > > Malibu Tony 1.9L....soon to be 2.2L or even a 2.5L if things > work > > out........84 X 95mm....2457cc's.....woohoo! > > >