Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Mar 2002 10:09:19 -0500
From:         Gary Stearns <gstearns@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Any one activated rear fog in back light cluster?
Comments: To: Brent Christensen <sbsyncro@HOTMAIL.COM>

I'm in the process of giving something a try right now. The position in the USA spec light cluster for the fog has a reflector lens on the outside, and I don't think the concave bulb reflector on the inside is mirrored. Put a bulb behind it and the result is scattered all over, not to mention the lack of wiring in the bulb socket. What I'm trying is installing a red LED based bulb in the left reverse light position. That position has a functioning socket, is mirrored, and has a lens that will project the light. Besides, a red light behind a white/clear lens will be totally rad, dude. I'll swap the wires to source from the fog light switch for the left side, and install a brighter bulb in the reverse light on the right side. Go to http://netdisty.net/ds/aut1157/ for the LED source I'm trying. The replacement 1157 bulb they make has 24 red LED's in it, in a clever pattern to use the cluster's built in reflector. I'm expecting the red color to be a bit on the pink side, sort of like a road flare. As you can see these things are not cheap, but they are less expensive than a new lamp cluster, and I think they might even work better.

More news as it develops...

Gary ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brent Christensen" <sbsyncro@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 7:47 PM Subject: Re: Any one activated rear fog in back light cluster?