Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Mar 2002 13:30:15 -0500
From:         Gordon Smith <porpentine@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Questions from a Vanagon Newbie

Hi everyone,

I've just bought an 86 Westfalia, with the intention of driving it around the U.S. in about a month. I've never owned a Vanagon before, and I've never gone on any extended van-camping trips before either.

While I'm reasonably mechanically capable and have travelled (by train/bus/boat) fairly extensively, I was wondering if there are any outstanding tips, warnings, idiosyncrasies or useful upgrades/additions/tools that you might share with me before I take off.

I'm particularly interested in the best ways to use the stove/fridge/sink, beds and cabinets to make the Westy a comfortable home away from home.

I'm realize that this is a little bit like asking you to tell me basically the entire contents of this mailing list--but if there are any anecdotes like "The best purchase/fix/option I ever got was..." or "This made my life easier", or even "This ruined my trip", I'd appreciate it.

Last of all, if you know of ANY book that covers travelling in, operating and maintaining the water cooled Vanagons, I'd love to hear about it...

Thanks a lot for your time and your great mailing list!