Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Mar 2002 10:40:29 -0800
From:         phil stanhope <napszeerf@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air Conditioner

Somebody posted a website on an AC system for a Eurovan that fits where the closet is located on a Vanagon. It is powered by the a compressor on the engine AND it has an electric motor to power it when parked for camping. It looked very modern and expensive.

For me I want to buy a spare hatch-back from a donor van, knock out the window, install a window AC unit(close to the passenger side) and sheet metal the gap. PVC pipe could be used to re-enforce the hatchback struts when hatch is open. A solid tree branch and a hoist could lift the hatch on/off for use in the summertime. Or you could use a forklift like I plan to since i have one. After seeing alot of Ford Chevy vans with this mod I wonder why no one has done this to a Vanagon, maybe becouse it destroys the AC unit in time?

Phil

--- Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM> wrote: > I explored the idea of taking a new AC window unit, > moving all the hot > stuff out over my spare tire. Then plumbing the > Condenser (cold part) to > the interior behind the glove box or eliminating the > glove box. Cost for > the silver soldered copper lines and an AC recharge > $185.00. We both know > this would be a really ugly thing. > If you wanted to run your 120v AC unit off an > inverter it would take > about ten automotive batteries to get 15 AMPS out of > an inverter. > If you wanted to run your Vanagon installed AC off > of 120v by adding an > electric motor it would take about 30 amps and a > three to four horse > electric motor. Possibly need a gear drive to get it > to spin a 3500 rpms. > The most practical AC unit would be a LP fuel unit > with 12v blowers, > doubt you'll ever find one. > So its back to the block of ice in the sink with a > 12v fan blowing on it. > > Stan Wilder > > On Sat, 30 Mar 2002 21:18:40 +0800 David Wilhite > <dnmwilhite@EARTHLINK.NET> writes: > > I use the hang in window air conditioner on my van > when camping > > during the summer myself, but have always been > thinking of other > > solutions. > > > > I was wondering if anybody has considered the > following method. > > Install an AC motor in the engine bay with a belt > going to the > > compressor. Put a double clutch on the vehicle > air conditioner > > compressor to handle the belt from the AC motor > and the engine. Use > > a transformer/invertor to change the 120 VAC to 12 > VDC to run the > > interior air conditioner duct fan and the fan up > front behind the > > radiator. This would be ideal, because there > would be no > > modifications to the vanagon body itself and no > appreciable space > > would be used. > > > > I haven't researched how much horsepower the air > conditioner > > compressor uses or if a double clutch unit is > available. My > > thinking is that these would be the two hang ups > for following > > through on this idea. > > > > Thoughts? > > -- > > > > > > 86' Syncro GL (for sale) > > 84' Subaruvanagon Westy > > 01' KLR650 > > > > ________________________________________________________________ > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! > Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for > less! > Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.