Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Mar 2002 13:34:31 -0500
From:         Vanagon man <vgonman@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Small Changes to the WBX that add up to a REAL HORSE POWER
              INCREASE...
Comments: To: Wolfvan88@AOL.COM

> It has been said that change is good... > Well, changes to the WBX are good for more power... > > change the cam and gain about 10 HP, > Change the muffler and gain a few more 2 or 3 > change the air filter 1 or 2 > Add light weight roller tip ratio rockers and stronger push rods adds @ 10 > Change to quad tip plugs adds > You can change only the compression and increase power by 22 HP > Eliminating crank flexing adds 1 or 2 > Balancing rotating parts adds 1 > Increasing air flow through heads adds 2 or 3 (probably more...) > Match porting intake and exhaust adds 1 or 2 > Ceramic coatings adds 2 or 3 HP (probably more...) > Increasing air flow around valves. > Adding 95 mm pistons will add HP > Increasing stroke > > IF the changes are done reasonably and all the systems are kept balanced (if > you increase one area how will it affect other areas...) and you do not drive > like a race car driver (remember their engines only last for 500 miles before > a rebuild and some not that long...) and you have used quality parts and care > during assembly, then it can last long than a stock engine (150,000 miles > Plus..)

These claims are rubbish. They are total assumptions. If one does the math with these clames, that is a 54HP increase. BS, I say. Prove it on the dyno not by seat of the pants. A lot of those improvements would be great for longevity, but you have been sold a lot of snake oil.

It is great to try to improve but to claim these sort of HP gains with NOTHING to back it up, is a different story.

What happenned to dyno results?>