Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Mar 2002 10:30:27 -0800
From:         Todd Francis <tbf@PACIFIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: FRYDAY-----horror stories on Surf Mex Trips
Comments: To: s w <smorewhisky@YAHOO.COM>

I have been to Baja many times due to the off road races and, although I have heard of many horror stories, we have been lucky and have not had trouble. Your police story reminded me of being just south of San Quntin late one night parked on the side of hwy 1 with about 3 vehicles and about 10 guys. We were testing the race car for the upcoming Baja 1000 later on that week. We were doing our thing and a police car drove up and the officer got out and tried to tell us something in Spanish. Unfortunately out of all 10 of us we couldn't figure out what he was trying to say and he gave up, got in his car and headed back to town. A little later the police car showed up again and the officer brought his superior who could not speak English either and he started conveying the same message. We finally understood him saying "mal" (bad) and then finally "banditos". We then started understanding that he didn't want us staying overnight where we were because it was unsafe and wanted us to come to town and park in front of the police station by a little city park. We finally found out that the area we were parked was close to big tomato fields and the field workers just may come out and rob you in the night. We stayed in town and had a quiet uneventful night. If you are in Mexico you need to be on your best behavior and very aware of how you are driving and how everyone is driving around you. I have had friends getting fined because they blew a stop sign that wasn't there. You know those little rubber stop signs that are put in the road between lanes on two lane (one way) roads. You will see them in Ensenada. Well, this one was old and broken off right down to the road surface. The little metal mount was still there though. I guess the police thought that was good enough so my buddy got fined. When I hear of people with drugs down there it makes me cringe. The Federally(sp?) checkpoint guys would love to find drugs. For the most part that is why they are there.

Todd Francis Precision Alloy LTD. http://www.precisionalloy.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "s w" <smorewhisky@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, March 29, 2002 7:44 PM Subject: Re: FRYDAY-----horror stories on Surf Mex Trips