Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Mar 2002 14:07:01 -0700
From:         John Brush <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      gas filter, 81 air cooled

I don't seem to be able to walk into a VW dealer and buy a fuel filter for my 81 vanagon. Not a diesel.

I went in today, and asked for one for my model, and he bought out this giant canister-looking thing, that is not even close. We looked over the drawings in the EXTA program, and the filter I have does not appear on any of the docs.

The one I need is a grey colored cube, about two inches on a side, and it installs just ahead of the T split for the gas furnace. I am thinking the existence of the furnace makes it a unique filter? <shrug>

There is a part number on the filter, but it means nothing to the parts guys at the dealer.

The crappy part is that the input line is smaller than the output, so I cannot easily grab a generic filter and install it, as there is little hose on either end to mess with adapters, and the output side is much bigger than any of the lines on the filters hanging on the rack at AutoZone, etc.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? I am wondering why I have something on my van that does not appear on any documentation, and why I don't have what appears to be a standard VW fuel filter. I seem to recall buying them years ago when I first got the van, but I long ago turned that stuff over to my mechanic once a year when he does the inspection/emissions dance with it. He just keeps putting the same kind in, year after year.

For anyone with an auxiliary furnace, the filter is up inside the cover for the furnace, just under the sliding door.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. My fuel pump is singing pretty good, so I want to replace the filter before it starves any more.

Thanks very much,

John