Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Mar 2002 16:46:45 -0800
From:         Brent Christensen <sbsyncro@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Anyone on Yahoo Groups READ THIS OR YOU WILL GET A
              LOT OF SPAM (No
Comments: To: pokey@vanagon.org, type2@type2.com,
          caravelleausnz@yahoogroups.com, ev_update@yahoogroups.com,
          Syncro@yahoogroups.com, syncrolist@yahoogroups.com,
          SyncroSA@yahoogroups.com, SyncroSafari@yahoogroups.com,
          type2-temp@yahoogroups.com, Vanagon-EngConv@yahoogroups.com,
          Vanagon-Westfalia@yahoogroups.com

Whew! Thanks! They even have a section that was set to "Yes" for telemarketing calls to my home phone number! (Which they must have collected when I bought/sold something on a Yahoo! auction. Scary.

-Brent

----- Original Message ----- From: 80 Westy Pokey Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2002 9:16 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM; type2@type2.com; caravelleausnz@yahoogroups.com; ev_update@yahoogroups.com; Syncro@yahoogroups.com; syncrolist@yahoogroups.com; SyncroSA@yahoogroups.com; SyncroSafari@yahoogroups.com; type2-temp@yahoogroups.com; Vanagon-EngConv@yahoogroups.com; Vanagon-Westfalia@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Syncro] Anyone on Yahoo Groups READ THIS OR YOU WILL GET A LOT OF SPAM (No VW Content)

I went into my Yahoo profile and everything in here is true, all my marketing preferences were set for Spamming.

Thanks, Chris

Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 08:19:53 -0800 From: Jim Arnott <jrasite@eoni.com> Subject: [vanagon] ADMINISTRIVIA - Yahoogroups Marketing To: WetWesties <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>, vanagon@yahoogroups.com

From another list I subscribe to... Rumour has it that it affects Yahoogroups members. You might want to check your 'marketing preferences'.

Jim Arnott List Administration

March 29 - Tired of spam you're getting at your free Yahoo! e- mail account? Get ready for more. Tucked inside a privacy policy change the company made this week was notice that more Yahoo! e-mail marketing offers were coming "even if users had formerly indicated they were unwanted. YAHOO! GRANTED ITSELF PERMISSION to spam by creating a new "marketing preferences" page that lets users pick "yes or no" to specific categories of marketing pitches. The problem is, Yahoo! set every users' option to "yes" - even if long ago, they indicated they never wanted any Yahoo! spam.

Users who don't want marketing offers from Yahoo have 60 days to do the following: Visit the user profile preferences page at http://edit.my.yahoo.com/config/eval_profile select "Edit your marketing preferences" from within the Member Information section; and individually change selections in a series of marketing categories from "yes" to "no."

In e-mail marketing lingo, the process is known as "opt-out." But even performing that slightly cumbersome operation is no guarantee that Yahoo! marketing offers won't come, since the firm reserves the right to add marketing categories at any time.

"I'd suggest re-checking periodically," writes another mailing list poster.