Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Mar 2002 21:31:33 -0800
From:         Hector Zapata <hector.zapata@XRXGSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: turbonator.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Snow" <mwsnow@COX.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2002 7:08 AM Subject: Re: turbonator.com

> Hector Zapata wrote: > > I saw this ad in EuropeanCar. Please take a look and let me know your > > opinion - www.turbonator.com . I have a friend who is using one mounted in a > > GM Yukon, and he swears by it. I'm thinking on buying one for my van. > > > > TIA > > Hector > > > > In recent history, many manufacturers have redesigned their intake > systems to make the air flow straighter and with less turbulence. The > design of the Turbonator is in direct opposition to the results of many > millions of dollars of R&D by auto manufacturers around the world. If > these devices worked as advertised, every race car on the planet would > be using them. The web site offers a single example of anecdotal > evidence of performance gains. They claim that "Independent studies on > nonmoving vortex generators have been performed", but offer no > documentation or reference to the purported studies. > > Don't get sucked in by their advertising. The Turbonator is a gimmick. > The best thing that you can do as a driveway mechanic to increase the > performance of your car is to maintain the ignition and fuel delivery > systems in good condition and use quality parts. > > Mike Snow

OK ,I see your point. But, on the other hand, not every race car has a turbo for induction, or a supercharger, and only a few manufacturers have either, but recently we've seen a boom on the aftermarket for such devices for forced induction. All I,m saying is, don't knock it until you try it. My friend has been telling me that he sees an improvement in gas mileage, and that's what I'm looking for, since my van is a daily driver, and I drive a lot, all day, everyday. I'll do this, I'll buy it, do some driving with it, report that to you guys, and, since it has a money back guaranteed, I'll return it if I don't see any improvement. That way, we'll have some data and facts, and nothing will be lost, exept perhaps the shipping money, and Ursula will be a guinea-pig. Agreed? Let me hear any and all opinions.

Hector