Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Mar 2002 13:16:44 -0800
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      unofficial ebay poll, the unofficial results 24 positives

unofficial ebay poll, the unofficial results "Which side are you on boys, aya which side are you on" I am posting the result in the raw form as they came to me. gary Edward Nutter" <eanutter@postoffice.pacbell.net positive Sudhir Desai desa4622@kettering.edu desa4622@yahoo.com 1984 Vanagon Z34(soon to be S4) & 1996 Jetta Trek icq# 8255956 -- AOL: rawsuds -- yahoopager: desa4622

positiveGary:

I don't have a problem as long as they put something about it being an e-bay listing in the subject line. That way I can decide if I want to read it or delete it.

Thanks,

Walter Evens Hesperia, CA, USA 2-85GLs Remember we can always change the policy if it gets out of control. Not every Vanagon ebay item is worth posting to the group. Lets all remember that too.

Myk 99 zx7r

From: Bob Kelly <BKELLY@CWO.COM> Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 08:47:38 -0800 To: vanagon@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [vanagon] New poll for vanagon

YES

vanagon@yahoogroups.com wrote:

> Enter your vote today! A new poll has been created for the > vanagon group: > > Shall we allow the posting of links to > Ebay auctions on the spare Vanagon list? > > > o Yes > o No > > To vote, please visit the following web page: > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vanagon/polls > > Note: Please do not reply to this message. Poll votes are > not collected via email. To vote, you must go to the Yahoo! Groups > web site listed above. > > Thanks! > > "Bob Kelly" <BKELLY@CWO.COM yes

"Alder, Anne M" <AAlder@Tesoropetroleum.com> yes E-bay listing? I like them on Gerry since I do not scan ebay. Helps me when someone else posts a listing.

Thanks, JB Gary,

If it is a question about a vanagon part, as in your example, I can't see why we would care. Even if it is a seller, it provides information. If a particular person who is parting out a steady stream of cars started posting to the list to boost his business, then that should be dealt with. But why worry about something in the abstract that is not happening? The question of whether the stainless steel pipe lasts longer is legitimate because we all have exhaust systems and many of us are facing the replacement decision.

The seller of this on ebay, Frank Condelli, has posted on the list for years, about many things, helps other people solve problems, promotes to some degree the selling of the line of Vanagon mufflers and pipes (never heard anyone complain), so nothing new is happening by that item being on ebay and someone asking about it.

I think first time buyers and new vanagon owners can benefit greatly by the type of discussion that would ensue from your example. Why should the list want to keep them from getting information about a vanagon item. Many vanagon items (some used) on ebay go for far more $$ than what they can be bought new from list vendors. Shouldn't the list be willing to help people determine, for example, the reasonable price of a part? Our goal is to promote vanagon ownership and survival.

Anyway, this is much more complex than just a yes no poll to a simple question can reveal.

So, I still think that the poll will not tell us anything. Not trying to be overly critical or anything like that, but just suggesting that this won't tell us the answer. Also suggesting that we didn't have a problem in the first place.

Sam "Mary Beth and Chris Geiser" <geiser@execpc.com yesPositive ...... I'm very much in favor of listmembers giving references to SOMEONE ELSE'S eBay listing.

Another tool to make sure I don't miss something I need.

Larry Chase 85GL Westy "RoadHouse" "She may be ugly, but she's slow" Campbell ( San Fran Bay Area) CA May I ask all to indicate in the SUBJECT TITLE only > "to a reply to this address, hradek@yahoo.com, NOT > GERRY" a positive or > negative about how they feel about listmembers giving > references to SOMEONE ELSES ebay listing. I will > report the percentages each week. > gary > The more info out there, the better the chance that someone will find what they need.

Let the info ( and postings) flow... delete at willgary... while I understand that some folks post auctions to the list to increase traffic, hence price, I believe that most are merely doing a service and telling listmembers about vanagons they have for sale. most often it seems to me, the posting party has no interest in the sale and state same. I for one, altho I am not in the market for a new van am interested to see what is out there and track them to some extent in order to give others references.

so, posting these ads to the list is ok with me.

Mick Kalber 89 Syncro Westy "Daddeo" Tropical Visions Video, Inc. 62 Halaulani Place Hilo, Hawaii 96720 808-935-5557 808-935-0066 (fax) redhotlava@hawaii.rr.com http://www.volcanoscapes.com/

Vanagon wannabes troll the Internet and find the list. They see the ads. They buy one. Our numbers increase. TStone8359@aol.com yes

martyŠ" <mchamberlain102791MI@comcast.net yes <laurence@alanasmith.com yes Malcolm Stebbins" <Malcolm.Stebbins@msvu.ca yes jon.sykes@ps.ge.com yesPositive

--------------- I know how to use my delete key.

Stan Wilder" <wilden1@juno.com> I think it's fine.

after all, we need to keep in mind that everyone has the ability to set up filters and filter out mail from the Vanagon mailing list with words like "eBay" and have them delivered directly to the garbage.

it's just email. no one is *obligated* to read the entire message about an eBay posting.

my $0.02

Myles I personally like the ebay refernces on the list- I have done it once myself. Didnt help me make my sale, but I dont see anything wrong with it..... Brian 83 1/2 Urabus luke sponsler" <spons23@hotmail.com yes Positive

I'm in the market for vans and also like to know what the market is doing. so any forsale postings are looked at. I personally think that the van should be offered to listee's prior to ebay but that is a subtle distinction.

compared to so many of the chit chatty posts I feel the forsale etc posts are quite valuable.

thanks for asking

ed 87 GL Reno NV -----Original Message----- From: gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Monday, March 25, 2002 9:24 AM Subject: POLLING ALL LISTMEMBERS i dont mind it. make sure your opinions aren't reflected in the poll results!

thanks, andrew fox