Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Mar 2002 22:35:23 +0100
From:         Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>
Subject:      Re: Speaker Wire Polarity?
Comments: To: Jere Hawn <jbrschawn@EARTHLINK.NET>

snipped------- As far as which one is + and - it really doesn't matter except that all the speakers should be wired the same, or else the sound will be off. end snipped----------

I would beg to differ here... There is a reason for the polarity in sound system speaker wires. If you have the speakers hooked up correctly, meaning the (+) from the stereo actually ends in the (+) from the speaker, then you will have a legitimate sound system. The LARGER connector is the (+), and the smaller one is the (-).

If the (+) from the radio is plugged into the (-) of the speaker, the bass will actually end up going IN to the speaker, instead of being thrown OUT to your ears. It sounds awful, although granted, under normal listening conditions you may not notice.... but with lots of power in a high end system, you would notice.

I have also been told that it ruins the speakers, as it forces then to "pump" in the opposite direction to what they were built.... although the speaker materials these days can probably deal with most anything... maybe the old cardboard ones were more sensitive to this.

snipped------ take a 9 v. battery and wire it up so you can touch the speaker leads and observe the cone's movement end snipped------

Once again... I personally would not do this. Granted, it may not damage your speakers, but if I pay good money on a nice set of speakers, the last thing I would want to do is hook them up like a light bulb. You can easily test polarity with a battery, and a lightbulb... or a tester.... you just sometimes need a really long test lead, but you can tell that when you hook up one, in the pair to the battery, and go to the other end, and use the tester on the other ends... one will show a signal, the other will not. Just mark the wires, and make certain that you get them in the right plugs for correct polarity.

It is worth the extra pain in the ass.

snipped--------- Will a 5.25" speaker produce better or more sound than a 4" speaker given the same input? snipped-------

Generally a larger speaker will provide better sound... more bass, and a fuller tone. What you need to watch out for is the power requirements of the speakers, in relation to the power that your radio is putting out. If you buy nice high-end 6x9 100 watt nominal rating speakers, and then power them with your OEM Blaupunkt, which maybe was rated at 8-10 watts... then you will have bad sound. You should not under power your speakers. If you cannot give them the power they want, then you can put an amplifier in, and then they will perform to their fullest potential.

Car stereo head units today can put out 40-50 watts of power, and have enough power to drive relatively good speakers... these radios would also have enough power to blow all your OEM speakers.

My advice would be to get a nice new radio with a CD player in it, and replace all speakers. I put the Alpine 6x9 rear speakers in the wooden piece below the rear seat... drilled the correct size holes, and screwed them in. It has worked well for 7 years, and since I have been a little less careful inside my Vanagon these days, the speaker covers are getting rather bent up... but they sound great!

Just my 2 cents.. have fun, and feel free to Pmail me if you desire any additional rantings or suggestions.

RSF

Robert S. Fish Salzburg, Austria 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender 1987 Golf Cabriolet 1991 Golf