Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:28:24 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: FRYDAY-----horror stories on Surf Mex Trips
Comments: To: TSmola@TRIBUNE.COM

Jeeze Tony! You're a lot more fun when you're speculating abut your dream engine.

Stan Wilder 83 Westfalia Air Cooled

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:06:33 -0600 "Smola, Tony" <TSmola@TRIBUNE.COM> writes: > I'd like to hear some stories from the list regarding wierd incidents > while > camping, surfing in Mexico and other strange places....could be > anywhere? > > Here's one to get the van rolling: > > While on a surf trip to Cabo San Lucas......long drive.......don"t > do it > unless you're young and crazyand have good A/C...yeah > right...nothing helps > in August in a Van > > 1) I had a problem with 4th gear popping out while driving > back....some 800 > miles south of the border....soon I had to hold her in just to to > keep it in > 4th...... > Then, it popped out and I couldn't find it.....4th was > gone!........so we > had to drive all the way back from Gurerro Negro to LA in 3rd....At > first we > took it easy > But later we realized that it actually hummed pretty well at 50 mph > and > didn't really slow down that much on hills....... > > 2) That same trip we got hassled by some Rosarito cops at K-38 ( > ex-surf > spot-now condos)....and after going through all our stuff the cop > slammed > his thumb in our > door and bled all over the place....needless to say they left > immediately. > > 3) While camping at Quatro Casas.....we had some Federales come out > of > nowhere in the middle of the night while a buddy and I were about > to > partake....... > luckily I saw a multiple shadows and quietly told him to put IT > down.....he > did and then another Federale flanked the campside from the rear and > scared > the crap out of me..... > I got up and told them in spanish how bad the surf was( which it > was----FLAT!)....and that we were out of beer and ice (basic mex > surf > necessities)....they felt sort of sorry and basically just wanted > to > talk..... the poor Federale kids get dumped off along the main pan- > peninsular highway and then the guys have to hike 15 miles to the > coast.....in the middle of the night.....wow that's the army I > guess. > Anyway. I distracted them enough to get them to just keep on > going....just > 18 year old Mexican kids with machine guns........a little > scarey!......anyway nothing happened.although > I almost had a heart attack....and grew older and wiser > since.....WOW! > > Malibu Tony 85' Westy.........1.9L soon going to a 2.2L WBX > soon...very > soon.....summer is coming. >