Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Mar 2002 18:13:20 -0800
From:         Cary Chiang <cchiang1@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Comment on 2.1 WBx vs. 2.2 Sub vs. Tiico (was The problem
              with TIICO) <F>

Frank: Okay, I have no experience racing Hudsons or Kaisers, so you certainly have more *butt* experience than I. I would hesitate to consider Fuji Heavy (Subaru) a "major" automotive manufacturer. Are you basing that on sales figures worldwide, in the US, or what other parameter? Yes, it could be that their policy to restrict power data to the public is rooted in marketing thinking, or they might actually think it is engineering security! Maybe it has something to do with their success in rally racing. Who knows? And why claim "shame", when you freely admit the power output is at least competitive with the other engines you compared them with? Jealous of the smooth running counter-weighted crank Subie engines, compared to the rough running VW I4? I have seen only two people claiming more than about 22 MPG with their Subie conversions: one with a lighter weight single (or doublecab), the other while driving less than 45 mph on backroads. I never exceed 19 MPG with mine. I agree with your general assessment of power building at about 3500 rpm, with peak around 4.5K. I would not consider power below 3500 to be a "dog", though. I believe the torque is better than a VW I4 at that rpm range, while still having more than enough "up top". So, overall, a better choice, regardless of your fancy-shmancy calculations! (How's that for scientific terminology?) Perhaps you really need to try out a Subie 2.2 in a VANAGON, so that you can at least form a more even basis for comparisons! BTW, what did you think of the 2.5 phase II torque / hp curves Warren supplied you? Perhaps this same company dyno-ed a 2.2? Cary