Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Mar 2002 20:55:07 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air conditioner for camping
Comments: To: edsato@juno.com

With a little engineering and some high volume (but silent) vent fans that could be ducted through the dead space in the drivers side under seat secret compartment and out from there this would be a viable AC implant. Tim Hannink has a good idea and I commend him for his efforts. It is certainly a neat appearance and won't adversely effect your hernia like my hang on unit does. I saw one unit in a Mexico (license plates) van that was mounted under the sink with the evaporator showing through the side of the van. It only extended out about two inches and the opening was very neatly dressed out. Its one of the few permanent installations that I could consider living with. I experimented with the possible placement of an AC unit under my rear Westy seat and various other locations. After I got dimensions on about five units I created cardboard boxes to those sizes and tried different placements of my box selection. Since I've got an Air Cooled, I found that many of the units could sit above the spare tire carrier (Panisonic units) but it came around to making wiring jumper sets and ducting into my fresh air ducts. The only problem that couldn't be solved was that I never found a filter that could be serviced with a unit mounted there.

Stan Wilder

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 15:35:06 -1000 Ed Sato <edsato@JUNO.COM> writes: > Tim > No way would this work! Is this a Friday joke or are you really > serious? > Aloha, Ed > > > > On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 19:41:42 -0500 Tim Hannink > <tjhannink@EARTHLINK.NET> > writes: > > My latest project is installing a window air conditioner that can > be > > used > > while parked in a campground. It is now installed under my > jumpseat > > as > > shown in the following photos: > > > http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/photos/CampingAirConditioner1.jpg > > > http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/photos/CampingAirConditioner2.jpg > > > http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/photos/CampingAirConditioner3.jpg >