Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Apr 2002 10:38:43 +0200
From:         Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Syndrome-ish when wet...help
Comments: To: Brad Estergaard <bestergaard@SHAW.CA>

My 91 Golf was doing the same thing... but when I shut it off, it would make me wait 30 m inutes before it would allow me to start it again. Not too plesant when it is pouring out, and you have to be somewhere.

Anyway, the dealer found that the ECU had water inside of it, and that the wiring leading into it, had really rotten insulation, and was soaking wet. This ECU sits in front of the dash, below the windshield, on the outside. They replaced my ECU and wires, and now it runs fine.

Given the location of the Vanagon ECU though, this is a tough one. Maybe try to look all around (and inside) of the ECU next time it is wet out, and see if road spray is somehow getting up to that ECU area.

Good Luck!

RSF

Robert S. Fish Salzburg, Austria 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender 1987 Golf Cabriolet 1991 Golf

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brad Estergaard" <bestergaard@SHAW.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 5:43 AM Subject: Vanagon Syndrome-ish when wet...help