Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Apr 2002 05:46:49 -0800
From:         "Greenamyer, William L" <william.l.greenamyer@BOEING.COM>
Subject:      oil on clutch

A ways back I said I would report on any results of investigations on this problem. It seems that the gunk getting into the clutch areas was not oil. The seals were good on the trans and engine. Seems that there is this hose going from the passenger head to the heater hoses. It finally identified itself be cleaning the right side of the engine compartment for me. Oily steam cleaning. Really fun. At any rate, couldn't get a new hose right then so had to pop for a good used one from the local VW bone yard. Good hose actually. Solved those problems and no more drips from the clutch. Must have been a pinhole in the hose and it hit just right with the air stream to cause it to slip in the side of the clutch housing. What appeared to be oil was just dirty coolent residue. At least that is one problem solved.

Have come up with a little alarm circuit for the Boxer. Haven't tried it yet but what I am doing is going to tie into the LED indicators for the temperature and oil pressure. My 84GL doesn't have any kind of alert (other that a flashing LED) and if you are not always watching these, you don't know there is a problem until it is to late. At any rate, this little circuit will mount right on the flex and I don't believe that anything will have to come outside of the instrument housing. The alarm can be herd without having to make any holes. I haven't got it together yet and actually field tested it but I have tested the alert device and appears to be loud enough to be herd over road noise. More on this once I get it working and tested.

William