Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Apr 2002 17:01:46 EST
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Comments on LED Wiring, was Re: LED's on the dash

In a message dated 4/3/02 10:32:03 AM, labusch@arczip.com writes:

<< If you are serious (really did what you described), have you done any writeup on these changes? If you have and could post them it would be helpful to some of us that might want to do some or all of the same. Wiring details, routing, etc.

If this was just another 'wish list', you forgot the 'Top Is Up Dummy' light! >>

Aah, you of little faith. To suggest that I would share my wish list with this group of vendor bashers, vegetarians and idle stumblers! I'm wounded to the quick! I don't have time for an extended dissertation here, but a few quick notes:

1). The key here is to recognize that a wiring harness is just a bundle of color coded wires. It can be cut, tapped and rerouted at will. The printed circuit foil is just a roadkill version of same. Oftentimes easier to trace. 2). The biggest hassle is to access the backside of the instrument cluster just below the idiot light window. I drilled a set of holes, then dropped in single LED socket holders (after squaring them off to drop into the recesses in the cluster plastic. I also used thin flat wire to bring all the LED addressing leads out along the side of the clock module. 3). I have a set of pictures taken about a year ago when I was rewiring my stereo setup. There cover views of the front of the clock/idiot light cluster as well as my location of the AF gauge, the Vacuum, CHT and EGT gauges, the compass and the voltage, cooling system pressure, oil temp and pressure group. At the time of these pictures, I had not yet replaced the wide black strip between LEDs with an Icon strip. In fact as I redesign the gauge system for the 3A Turbo, I will be changing this since I'm making an extended dash instrument cover. In the new design, I am mounting a bank of gauges and a fuel/trip computer above the existing spedo/tach group. This set of images is about 3.5 M stuffed with Stuffit. The images are JPEGs. I probably have a lower resolution set modified by David Bierl (sp), on the home computational device. If your emailer can handle em, send me an email request. 4). All the LEDs I use are for 12 V applied so voltage dropping resistors are included in the common lead. 5). Correction. I said I monitored when the fan was on. False. I'm lazy and didn't feel like putting together a current monitoring circuit, so (more correctly), I monitor the state of the fan relays. I tap the line to the fan for the low and high speed circuits. So when the low speed fan is triggered (has voltage applied) I have a lit LED!. 6). For the turn signals, I just tapped the line from the turn signal switch. Bentley decodes all these colors nicely. 7). As I recall, the triggering polarity for the idiot light LEDs was reverse of rational (I think they switch ground instead of power), so as needed, I used a set of micro (low current) 12 V relays as needed (about 25 cents each at C & H Sales - Pasadena - my favorite govt. surplus junkyard). 8). I think I used a small voltage amplifier on the refrigerator burner on light, because the voltage was surprisingly low. 9). Fog and driving lights are power applied taps at the fog light switch. 10). The new icon group in the idiot light cluster was made with the MAC, laserprinting on transparency stock. Took three replicate layers, each aligned above the other to get the final optical density. Used a train icon for my cruise control symbol. 11). I have a 32 twisted pair bundle/cable/bus running from front to back in the Westfalia, just for sensing issues. 12). Sounds harder than it is!

Frank Grunthaner