Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Apr 2002 14:03:23 -0500
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: cooling question
Comments: To: Jim Morgan <JM060356@AOL.COM>

Good day Jim, take a look at my coolant section: http://pages.infinit.net/engine/cooling_system_flow.htm And you will see that both heater core don't go trough the thermostat, so normally if you blow the 2 heater fan at the full & HOT position the needle should slightly go down (a good way in heavy traffic to lower the engine temperature)

Note: I live in Montreal, Canada. The temperature those days is around the freezing point; the front rad is always cool, even if engine idles for a long time. That with the new thermostat. With the old one the front rad is warm but not hot at all.

The cooling fan thermo sensor is located on the front radiator and as nothing to do with the real engine temperature, she just go on when the rad is to hot. (By the way, Bus Depot sells a cooler thermostat)

The front radiator stays cold!!! until the thermostat open (but the engine as been at operating temperature for some time) The fuel injection system depend and vary on engine temperature so it is crucial that you have a fully functioning thermostat.

VW is now at the letter "F" (part # generation) for the standard 87deg thermostat, but I called VW Canada yesterday and they explain to me that the "F" thermostat was a bit higher than 87 deg and the older model were a bit lower than 87deg!!!!!!, they say that the van was running to cold with the subsequent model (A to E!!!!!)

So to you're problem, if the front rad never come hot there is a few possibility: -A clogged radiator or a main cooling line (the gauge should reach full hot 4/4) - To cold outside and the engine need all the heat it can get (over the cooling level light) - A faulty thermostat or it's going away slowly (not very probable). A thermostat is mostly to stay open when failure occurs and they mostly stop working all the way.

There is nothing electronic about a fully operational cooling system; the thermostat is a mechanical part.

Also, VW confirm that the new thermostat and the new temp gauge sensor (the one in front of the thermostat housing) are giving a higher reading (for the sensor, about 15% more) and higher temperature (for the thermostat, about 20% more heat). The gauge should normally (by VW spec) read ¾ or a bit below that.

I find that completely stupid that a gauge is not in the middle when at normal temperature, it is logic to have the same proportion each side of the needle for an accurate reading and safety (more time to stop the car in case of overheating). My little Honda gauge is always in the middle like it's freeze there, I once had an overheating problem due to a lost of pressure and in went all the way near the red section giving me some time to stop the car.

Note: the VW car (not van) I worked on had a 3.4 reading in the front at normal operating temperature.

I just change my thermostat and sensor and I had the ¾ reading in the front, I didn't like that at all and went back with the old one. I like to see my needle in the middle, period.

We should do a poll here:

Poll: what is the position of you're temp gauge needle…

Good luck my friend, Ben http://pages.infinit.net/eurokit/