Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Apr 2002 14:08:40 -0500
From:         foxmiller <foxmiller@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      HEAD GASKET REPLACEMENT, ETC.

The left side head gasket on my '87 2.1 wasserboxer started leaking last July and I had it replaced by a very competent mech in Savannah (John at Akins and Bobb on Skidaway). 2K miles later, it is holding up fine. John would have replaced the left side at the same time, but I was literally packed up and moving out of town that very same afternoon, and there was no time to do both. Now, of course, the right side is leaking. I have heard that it is definitely better to use the OEM gasket set and especially the OEM sealant for this particular repair. I also understand that the experience and technique of the mech are critical to this job being done right - I guess that is true of most repairs, but especially this one (so I am not going to try it myself!). Looking for confirmation that OEM is the right way to go, even in it means $100 more, and also for advice on a highly competent wasserboxer mech within 75 miles of Charlottesville, VA

Also, I noticed that the coolant hoses (the ones I could reach to test) seem to be getting mushy and I would not be surprised if they become a problem soon. Wow, what a nightmare engine cooling circulation system the wasserboxer has! Priced out at over $800 for a whole new set of hoses. Looks like I might be able to do that one myself. 180K total mileage. Should I replace the whole set or are there certain ones that are known to fail and others that last forever?

Ray