Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Apr 2002 20:27:53 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: 115HP wasserboxer on Ebay
Comments: To: Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>

Time for my semi-annual sermon on auctions.

When you purchase an item at auction (eBay or bank repo or county surplus), you are taking a chance. You know going into the deal that the widget you're bidding on might not me exactly as the seller described it. You have to arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can. Know what you're buying, and know as much about the seller as you can. Also, know yourself.

If you think that the widget you're bidding on only comes in one size and you're wrong, you have no one to blame but yourself if it does not fit (unless, of course, the seller promised that it would, indeed, fit). If you think that it will fit on your 1992 Blatzmobile, but it was for a 1943, who are you gonna blame? Right; yourself.

Did you look up the sellers feedback rating? Did you follow through and verify what nice things others have said about him? (they have dealt with him - they know) I go so far as to look up what he was selling/buying when he received any negative feedback and then look up the ratings of his detractors, too (some folks are just a**holes and their feedback is worthless - you get a feel for it). Not very important if I'm buying a shirt, but very important if I'm considering plunking down three or four (or ten or twelve) grand on a vehicle. There is a wealth of information on those selling on eBay. You just need to take the time to find it.

If you're an optimist, you shouldn't be buying in auctions. Only rarely is an item better than described.

If you cannot set a purchase price limit for yourself, you have no business in auctions. When you see that really cool purple widget that you just know is gonna finish off the appearance group on the ol' Blatz, and you know it's worth about $75, but the price has gone to $175 plus shipping, are you the guy who breaks down and bids $202.17 just to a) have the widget, and b) really piss off the guy who was audacious enough to try to outbid you? You guessed it - you shouldn't be buying at auction.

Auctions are a great venue for buying stuff cheap. The biggest trick is to set a price that you know is good for you (this include a buffer for the possibility that that tranny is just a shell with no gears inside!) Then, stick with that price. If it goes higher, walk away and wait for another - there'll be one.

I've been dealing with auctions for twenty years. I've gotten burned a couple or three times. Every time I didn't pay attention to my own rules. I don't blame the a**hole who sold me that tranny without gears. I blame myself for not doing like they say at railroad crossings - stop; look; listen.

Karl Wolz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Edward Maglott" <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 6:01 PM Subject: Re: 115HP wasserboxer on Ebay