Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Apr 2002 18:56:04 -0700
From:         John Brush <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Towing with an '81 2.0?

.>> one or two regionals that are two hours or so away. The car weighs >> about >> 2200 lbs in race trim. Am I out of mind to even think I can use the >> van as a >> tow vehicle?

In a word, Yes.

Your van weighs something like 3800lbs empty, plus 2200 lbs for the car and you just exceeded the GVW of the van without putting anyone in it, tools, junk, and whatever. In addition to taxing the engine, you will be in deep trouble if you have to panic stop it. We all drive to avoid panic stops, but that is why the call them accidents, because we didn't mean to do it :-)

You could lose your van, and your race car quite easily.

I have an 81 aircooled, closing in on 200K. Low compression, but still healthy. I put a 900lb camper on mine and drive basically on a level freeway and its a work for the engine. I use my car for most of the mountainous expeditions that involve the camper, and only tow with the van when the destination is known to be a "hill-less" trip.

<Stan wisely pointed out that:>

>If you've got an oil temp gauge and cylinder heat temp.......... give it >a test run. >Keep the oil temp below 240 F and the cylinder head temp below 400 F and >you should be OK

If you can pull 2200 lbs down the road for two hours and not exceed that oil temp number, I really want to hear about it. On a warm day, my van runs @ 220 after an hour, without a trailer or a load. I don't have a cyl head gauge, as I would worry too much and not enjoy myself :-)

OTOH, if that is the vehicle you have, and the roads are flat and wide open, I suspect that I might try it myself (how's that for a flip flop?)

I say that after recievin a word of wisdom passed on by some list member when I was asking about towing. To paraphrase it, 'go ahead and do it. If you like the van, and you are willing to replace the motor, then you should tow all you want, and expect that the price will still be less than an SUV" and he is right.

Just worry about the stopping tho, as the brakes ain't that great in the first place.

That's enough drivel from me for the day.

Regards from Utah,

John