Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Apr 2002 01:23:55 +0200
From:         Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>
Subject:      Re: Removed A/C - Now Rad Fan is Dead '87 GL - Update

What I am finding out is confusing the hell out of me.

I really hope that there are a few wiring experts on the list, who can hold my hand a bit through this mess.

Bentley 97.116 shows, what appears to be my Vanagon, but WITHOUT the factory A/C installed. I see power coming off the 30 track up top, and through the S1 fuse, and through the yellow connector in the fuse block, at C7, and heads down, through a connector under the instrument panel, to terminal 3 on the Rad Cool Fan ThermoSwitch... all good.

Bentley 97.141 shows my actual set-up, WITH factory A/C installed. INSANITY!

Bentley 97.200 shows what they refer to as the "450-Watt Radiator Cooling Fan" for my Vanagon.... a seperate page, for some reason.

First question: The Radiator Fan seems to be shown differently on the first Bentley diagram... here it has a dual output setting, while the second, and third have only one output, (but the fan is tricked into slowing down, on the second diagram, when the current reaches it through the RadCoolFan Resistor.) Is my Radiator Fan the "450-Watt" one (Since I did have factory air), or is 97.200 refering to a completely different optional heavy duty fan. or something crazy?

Second question: On 97.116 the diagram shows a RadCoolFanRelay (2nd Stage) and I see the familiar terminals (30 = power to device before switch is closed, 87 = power to end device(RadFan) when switch is closed, 86 = Power for relay spring (from thermoswitch), and 85 = Ground)... but what is going on with the terminal 1, 3, 2, and 7 on this RadCoolFanRelay(2nd Stage)?? I see them seemingly ending on the yellow "H" connector oon the block, but the wire terminal 1 goes back to a relay number 7 in the fuse block (which I see on the diagram, but find no label for) and then far beyond. (What IS this 7-relay?? It terminates at the instrument panel dimmer switch on one end, and the wipers on the other)

Second question: Why can't I just keep it simple, and allow my Rad Fan to be turned on at 95 degrees... an leave it at that? If the 95 degree is the "first stage" and the 102 degree is the "second stage" and the A/C overheat/kill function is the "third stage", can't I just remove those relays from my new circuit, and rewire? Why all this extra hassle and fuss over the 102 degree threshold? Isn't cooler better anyway?

Bottom Line: I am going to rewire this anyway, and do a test, trying to by-pass all these stage 2 and 3 relays etc, and have the fan come on at 95 degrees... I am wondering if anyone out there has experience that would help me in this situation... mainly teling me if I will screw any of the other the systems up, as I seem to have screwed the RadFan up while removing the A/C.

Thanks to anyone who was actually interested enough to reach the bottom of this message!

RSF

Robert S. Fish Salzburg, Austria 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender 1987 Golf Cabriolet 1991 Golf