Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Apr 2002 00:54:43 EST
From:         John Wessels <EUROMOG@AOL.COM>
Subject:      SyncroMog Goes to Moab cont.
Comments: To: Syncro@yahoogroups.com

Hello again Volks,

The third day was Pritchitt Canyon. A 4+ trail that a few of the mogs decided to take a "scenic tour" instead. This is a very fun trail in a Unimog but was very challenging in the Syncro. It has many large obstacles along with a fun little mud pit to climb through. At the beginning of the trail there is a section of 2ft stairsteps that drop down in a staggered fashion...one side then the other. The Syncro is prone to "3 wheeling" as it just doesn't have the articulation of straight axles. I locked the front and rear diffs and then used the brakes to slow my idle speed without stalling. I picked my line and eased down. I had to keep the momentum forward as too slow might cause a roll. Most of the way down I was on one set of three wheels then another set of three wheels. The rear engine support banged a few times but the Syncro came down it easier than I thought it would.

There are many side challenges along this trial that a few of the Mogs would stop to play at. Some were way beyond what the Syncro could challenge so I just watched and took pics. One spot I did try for fun. It ended up being more narrow than I though and that is how a lost the left front turn signal. Some pretty good body damage in that spot too......but it was fun trying! I had to get snatched over one two foot boulder but made out the rest of the way on my own.

The next big obstacle was the Rocker Knocker. It is 3 big 18 inch to 24 inch steps. Each step has about a 2 foot ledge. It is tough even for a Unimog to make up because of the spacing. One of the special built RockMogs tried a very difficult line and rolled. No one was hurt and there was only a few scratches on the roll cage. There is a bypass that I took for safety's sake. The bypass was quite a bit washed out from two years ago when it was a simple steep dirt hill climb. Now at the top there was a 5 foot pile of rocks with a one foot ledge at the top. I could get up to the ledge but had to be winched over it. A couple of Unimogs took the bypass and actually had more trouble than I did. There were a few more rock piles up the trail that I had to be snatched up. Lack of a long wheel base and low gearing the critical factor. Near the top of the trail I went over a minor hole and rock that sent me up on a three wheel stand. I held it there for pics then inched forward with the starter and it gently dropped to all four wheels again. At the very top of the hill was a very uneven and off camber section of Slickrock that I was snatch towed again for safety. Then we had 27 miles of very bumpy road to the main Highway. About half way are some sand dunes but the sun was setting and we wanted to get back to town. We left town at 8 in the morning and didn't get back until 7 at night. This was my most challenging day and I was beat.

The next day was Hells Revenge. This is over a large area of petrified sandstone. It has incredible grip and traction but some areas are very steep. This is an easy play area but has some very difficult areas for fun. I was so burnt from the previous day it was nice to take it easy for a day.

On Wednesday we went on Golden Spike. This trail starts out very difficult with some large steep stairsteps in series on Slickrock. The Jeeps were spinning tires and fishtailing there way up. The Syncro just climbed right up and carried the front wheels every time. The Jeepers were impressed! There were sections that had very uneven terrain that made for a very bumpy ride but the suspension on the Syncro worked really well over them. Next obstacle was a large V ravine that had to be straddled. One side of the V is steeper than the other so you have to climb that side higher to keep from falling into the crack. Kai Serrano spotted me and I drove right through just like it was a rock road.

There was a series of drop offs and ledges to climb for the next few miles. Just up and down over the terrain. We stopped along the cliffs for lunch to view the city of Moab over a 1000 ft below. It is such a pretty view of the canyon and the Colorado River. After lunch there was a series of big drops that were a big challenge for the Nissan Xterras ahead of us. Right before them I cut a tire again...ruined even at 20 lbs! They were amazed to watch the Syncro just pop right down them. Next obstacle was a series of stairsteps that were about 18 inches high but the steps were about the same wheel base as the Syncro. I made a great airborne attempt and made it half way up. On the bounce however my gas pedal linkage rod came undone. Turns out it is worn out and only gravity was holding it in place. I managed to get it back in the hole and working again. I could not get my seat belt back on though as the Syncro was at a 45 degree incline. So I took a snatch rope up the final two steps.

Next spot was the Golden Crack. This is a 3 foot deep crack across a slab of granite. You take the crossing at a 45 degree angle to the crack. This is a true test of articulation. I have seen stock Jeep Cherokee's make it across with scraping bumpers. The Unimogs took it with ease and grace. I had two guys stand on my rear right bumper until my left front bumper touched the other side. Once I got my left front tire to climb out they jumped off and I gassed it. I got some great air according to the local action photographer who is sending me proofs.

There was some steep stairsteps on the way out but I made most of them without a tow. I did have problems with the gas pedal coming undone and it was frustrating me. By this time we merged with the Poison Spider trail and there was a traffic jam of Jeeps on the trail. We made it out of the last of the rough stuff and were on our way down the Mesa. With a long string of Jeeps we came to one last obstacle. It was another short steep piece of Slickrock. There was 3 Jeeps ahead of the Unimog ahead of me and they all had trouble getting up. They eventually did without a snatch rope and were on their way. Kai's Moo Mog 2 went right up. At this point all the Jeepers were whining on their CB's "What is a VW doing out here?" "How did he get here in the first place?" We are going to have to wait forever for him to be towed up that rock" I took my line without stopping. Touched the front bumper, gassed it and popped right up without spinning a tire. Every one on the CB's went nuts! The three Jeeps that were behind me had slightly more trouble and they were the ones whining the most!

To be continued...

John Wessels European Motorsport Livermore, CA http://www.euromog.com