Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Apr 2002 01:13:30 EST
From:         John Wessels <EUROMOG@AOL.COM>
Subject:      SyncroMog Goes to Moab cont II
Comments: To: Syncro@yahoogroups.com

Hello Volks,

All in all this was a great test for the SyncroMog. I spoke with a local Vanagon guy who has a Mt.bike tour business and he says that no one has ever ran the trails I did in a Vanagon Syncro. I ran it very hard for five days and the worst was two blown tires. The throttle linkage is due to wear after 184K miles and just needs to be replaced. At 4 to 5000ft elevation the original engine with 184K miles did feel whimpy at low RPM's but still performed well. It amazed me and many of the Jeepers too. There were many Jeeps with broken axles and drivelines and rollovers. On the Sixth day we went for a scenic tour to the Canyon Lands park. It was a nice ride with some unusual scenery. On the way back to town on a down hill grade I blew the #2 spark plug out of it's threads. So I just "steam engineed" it back to town and parked it in camp. I loaded next day for the trip home and had it repaired in a half hour at my shop.

I am still receiving pics via snail mail and links to postings from the Mog list. There are literally 1000's of pics of our group out there just from this one week. There is also many hours of video out there as well. I posted one link for a few thumbnail shots a week ago. Many more are in the process of adding to it. There will be a Mog's at Moab video available too. I am going to try to get as much video together from various people and piece it together for the Syncro De Mayo.

On Wednesday night we had an awards BBQ. I received the "Huevo's Grande" award for my antics in the SyncroMog.

Next challenge is the Rubicon.

Thanks for reading,

John Wessels European Motorsport Livermore, CA http://www.euromog.com