Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Apr 2002 12:29:27 -0400
From:         Gary McEachern <glmce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Upgraded speakers? (Long)
Comments: To: ben@KBMC.NET

Ben

As a background, my comments come from both personal experience and more than 20 year experience in the car and home hi-fi audio industry providing repair/technical/installation support to dealers and end-users.

The larger 5x7 Boston speakers retrofitted in the back of your vehicle have the ability to produce deep bass at a higher volume levels without distortion as compared to the OEM or 4" Pioneer speakers you retrofitted into the front speaker locations.

General information about speakers:

* In order to produce deep bass at mid-high power levels you need to be able to move air! * To create "flat" frequency response, it is necessary to move 4 times the amount of air every time the frequency is reduced by 1/2!

For example: At 1000hz (midrange) (1/128") +/-.008" At 500hz (lower midrange) (1/64") +/-.016" At 250hz (upper midbass) (1/32") +/-.032" At 125hz (midbass) (1/16") +/-.062" At 63hz (bass) (1/8") +/-.125" At 32hz (deep bass,subwoofer) (1/4") +/-.250"

* Smaller speakers cannot move the same amount of air that larger speakers can due to the smaller physical size of the cone(area) and linear cone excursion (undistorted linear/in-out movement). * Excursion is a result of the effective voice coil length and the compliance(freedom of movement) of the speaker. * Smaller 4" speakers can produce midbass, but not bass at higher volume levels. Typical effective voice coil lemgth of 4" speaker is +/- 1/16" (midbass) 1/4" voice coil length) * Larger "woofers" often have 1/2" -1" voice coil length to allow for longer cone movement without distortion. * Many OEM car stereo receivers have intentionally limited low frequency bass output based on the smaller less compliant OEM speakers installed in the vehicle (cutt off bass frequency below 100-200 Hz to prevent distortion and damage at higher volume levels). * Aftermaret car radios in most cases don't limit bass frequency to accomodate the limitations of the speakers.

Comments: Vanagon speakers (3" front and 2" rear) cannot produce deep bass due to small size and stiff compliance! * The supplied Blaupunkt radio has low power and limited bass response to prevent damage to speakers. * Replacement aftermarket radios used with mid-high power amplifiers will overdrive OEM size/style speakers at mid-high volume levels primarily due to bass content.

Suggestions: * Installation of larger/more compliant speakers will handle bass better at mid/high levels. * When larger/more compliant speakers cannot be used, a crossover with the capability of blocking the deep bass to the smaller F/R speakers should be used to prevent crackling distortion of the speaker at mid-high volume levels. * A subwoofer should be installed when mid/high volume deep bass is desires particularly when front and rear speakers cannot produce bass without distortion. * Simpler/less expensive "Passive" crossovers with capacitors and/or coils can be used to block bass or high frequency to speakers when component amplifiers and/or electronic crossovers are not used.

In my van I currently use: 4" 2 way aftermarket speakers up front with the stock VW "pod" speakers in the rear (for fill only) with a single 8" subwoofer in a cabinet under the rear seat. I have a bridgeable 6 ch/50WRMS amplifier used in 4ch/50W, 1ch/100W mode.

I also use a 4 channel-in / 5(6) channel-out electronic crossover that allows me to take the F/R outputs from the radio and crossover(block) the bass below 150hz to the front and rear speakers and send the combined F/R bass information (20-150Hz) to the single 8" subwoofer.

Simplest solution: I'd suggest you install a 200 micro-farad/25V non polarized capacitor in series with each fronyt Pioneer speaker (assuming they are not damaged) to reduce low bass input to the speakers. This, I expect, should reduce/eliminate the crackling sound you get from these speakers.

I hope this information is helpful.

Gary

----Original Message Follows---- From: Ben McCafferty <ben@KBMC.NET> Reply-To: Ben McCafferty <ben@KBMC.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Stereo experts? was: Re: who has upgraded their front vanagon door SPEAKERS?? Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 12:13:31 -0700

OK, while we're on the stereo topic.... PO installed a Clarion CD player in my westy, with Boston Acoustics speakers. They are in the back, and with the fader all the way to the rear, the sound is clear at any volume level. My front speakers were stock, and they crackled pretty bad, so I replaced them with some Pioneers that I had laying around. If I put all sound to the rear, it's crystal clear at any volume setting. If I put it 50/50 front/rear or all to the front, the Pioneers crackle at louder volume settings, but not at lower ones. Maybe the Pioneers are just blown, but I didn't think they were. Here's the relevant info:

Clarion BD216 CD/tuner, 45Wx4 max, 17Wx4 normal, 4-8 Ohms allowable for the speakers.

Boston Acoustics RC820 system, with two 5x7" RC820 woofers, and two Neo 3R Tweeters. There is a crossover on each side (820X from BA). The crossover has an input from the stereo, then an output to woofer, tweeter and amb.tw. (ambient tweeter?). The amb tw socket is not in use. The system calls for a recommended amp of 20-275W, 4 Ohms.

Pioneer 10cm 2-way, model TS-A1090. 50W max, 10W nom. (nominal?) power, 4 Ohms.

Is this simpler than I think, and the Pioneers are just blown, or is something mismatched? If the Pioneers are blown, what would be the best way to take advantage of the Clarion and BA stuff, since it's new? Can I wire my Mac DVD in for surround sound in the westy (just kidding, but it would be sweet!....)

Thanks for any thoughts. bmc :) "Faith will move mountains, but you'd better bring a shovel...."

> From: Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA> > Reply-To: Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA> > Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 02:44:27 -0500 > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: who has upgraded their front vanagon door SPEAKERS?? > > I have a kick ass system... > http://pages.infinit.net/eurokit/westy_modifications.htm > > And i speak what ever i can, indian for now....it's late. > > Lol, Ben >

Gary McEachern, Reading Ma. '90 Westy '87GL Wolfy Weekender SubaVanagon '87 Syncro '91 Subaru Legacy Sedan '93 Subaru Legacy Wagon '76 Camper '75 Spitfire