Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Apr 2002 13:47:23 -0700
From:         Mark Mages <wasserbox@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Engine Rebuild week 4 - Valve knock question

Actually, this is week 5, but I was in AZ last week, so it doesn't count :)

The engine starts, idles (ish), and I fixed the couple leaks I had on startup (makes a huge difference using the right t-stat gasket :))

But - the engine is knocking to beat the band. I am guessing it is valve knock - it is a high pitched ping or pop, not a thud thud thud (piston related)... I got under there with piece of hose up to my ear (no stethoscopes around) and the sound is coming from the 2 outside pushrod tubes. I can't tell if it is in the valve cover or the cylinder head, but it is definitely the 2 outside valves (1 & 4) on the drivers side.

The bentley says that it could be the hydraulic lifters, but I checked them for tension before reinstalling the head and they were quite firm.

So - what do I do now? If nothing else, I am getting it towed to the local shop and having them finish it off for me tomorrow. I need to get them to test the exhaust gasses to make sure it is all groovy anyways....

Thanks

===== Mark 84 Rocco 87 Westfalia 96 Rockhopper Comp (commuter) 98 Yeti AS-R XC (freeride) 01 Schwinn Fastback Ltd (in progress) http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages