Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Apr 2002 20:49:52 -0700
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Re: worst cars - van?
Comments: To: Zapvw@AOL.COM

Just had this discussion on the Vintagebus list. Here's my thoughts from when The Tappet Brothers first released said list last year.

From: Jim Arnott <jrasite@eoni.com> To: Date: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 10:25 PM Subject: Re: The Results (http://cartalk.cars.com/About/Worst-Cars/results1.html)

Well, I *did* go beyond the first page and I'll share my comments with you.

First, remember that these guys are 'entertainers' not mechanics. If you regularly listen to them on NPR, you'll see that they're wrong more than they're right. And they screen the calls to get entertaining ones.

Here we go...

#1 Yugo. Cheap car for cheap people. TANSTAAFL. If you wanted a cheap FIAT, you bought a Yugo.

#2 Vega. A lot of very high engineering bucks in a economy car. The aluminum engine was manufactured with the same processes used on the Al 427. NOT a car for the masses. Was sold as one. The Cosworth Vega is *still* to die for! ($300 starter! First one to use 'rare earth' magnets.)

#3. Pinto. If it was such a lousy car, why was Ford able to sell significant quantities of them for over ten years? The early 1.6 motor was/is the same Ford 105 engine that has powered thousands of Formula Ford racecars. The 2 liter is still the engine of choice in the S2000 class. 2.3 was a good truck motor and is still available in the current production Ranger pickups. Just a lousy car I guess. That's why there are so many of them still on the road. I guess that the boneyards won't take them.

#4. AMC Gremlin. Not a lot of redeeming features here except the largest passenger compartment of any car in its class at the time. Butt ugly, but about as dependable as an anvil. A lot more of them on the road today than Ford Mavericks.

#5. Chevette. THE car of choice for RFD mail drivers. Not uncommon to find them with over 300k on them. The Diesel is especially sought after. As above... an anvil.

#6. Renault Le Car. Funny, the picture is of an R5, not a Le Car. Even RHD. Paddy Hopkirk built one with an engine at both ends at the time. Was a real screamer. They also offered one with a Gordini 1.6 motor in the back. Another screamer. If you want a Chevy Nova, get a Chevy Nova. Renault was winning a lot of F-1 races at the time and the technology *did* transfer in the upper models.

#7. Dodge Aspen/Plymouth Volare. MY car of choice for a teenager's first car. Replace the ignition module about once a year and drive it forever. With the slant 6 motor, you don't even *have* to change the oil. Just put gas in it and drive it. Good basic American automobile.

#8. Cadillac Cimmeron. Should have been #1. A Chevy Cavalier with leather seats. The Cavalier was junk. So's this.

#9. Dauphine. The problem with Renault/Peugeot/Citroen in the US is dealer support and a misunderstanding about American drivers. All are absolutely fine automobiles, all suffered from folks that wanted to put the cheapest gas they could find in them and drive them at 80 mph over the Rockies. I had an R10 that was almost the most fun of any car I ever owned. (The Mini was more fun! More work too.)

#10. Type II. Well, if they don't like it so much, they can give *ME* the one in the picture. The comments about heat are true. The comments about blowing over in the wind are true about all vans. From UPS vans to the old Chevy G30 I had. Get used to it. Probably true about Daimlers finest too...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Jim