Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Apr 2002 10:35:21 -0400
From:         Craig Rogers <rogers23@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1.9L VW Remanufactured engines (AutoZone)
Comments: To: SpaceKommander <jboldway@BEE.NET>

The 1.9 rebuilt I bought from VW about 8 years ago had a sticker that said it was rebuilt by VW of Canada.

I've been buying a lot of stuff at the AutoZone. They have the same stuff that our mail order guys carry and they give a lifetime warranty on almost everything. The must hate Type 2 owners that keep their vans forever.

As an example, remanufactured half-shafts, (made by CCI or CCT, I don't know the name, but perhaps some of you do) are 80 or 90 dollars depending on what you are getting, since they carry shafts for front and rear on the Syncro and also the 2WDs. They have a lifetime warranty. I spent almost that much for one new CV joint from the Bus Depot and I had to spend a bunch to get it pressed on the shaft too. It was a week later I discovered AutoZone had them...

Anyway, they carry rebuilt motors too. I enquired about them a while back, and they have 1.9s. I don't remember the price, but 12 or 1400 dollars comes to mind. I don't remember how much warranty they give on the motors either, but I think its the standard 12/12.

I also like the way they handle the warranty. When you buy stuff from them with a warranty, it goes into their computer with all your information. All you have to do is give them your phone number when you go in and they get a list of all the stuff you have under warranty (no receipt is necessary, they even list any cores you still have out, so you don't even need your receipt for a core return). Also, from my experience the warranty is "no questions asked". One time I had a battery that had a 1 year replacement warranty and I used it in my deep cycle location. I've found that a year is about how long I can get out of a regular battery there, and they were on sale, so I got one. It wore out in a year and I brought it in and tested it and said it was still good, it had enough cranking amps, etc. Well, I knew that its capacity was severely diminished, since the stereo was draining the battery in no time. So I told them it was no good and it won't start the car, so they gave me a new one. When you have to order something (none of our stuff is in stock), they usually get it within 1 or 2 days for you. Where else can you get such service?

One time I was traveling in an area where they didn't have stores yet (they have been expanding a lot) and my alternator went out. I was able to order one from the store that was nearest me on my path (several hundred miles away) and when I got there, not only did they offer me my new free alternator, but they offered to lend me tools to install it with in their parking lot!

I have had a couple of bad experiences with individual sales people at one particular location, but management has always straightened them out.

I highly recommend this place.

Sincerely,

Craig Rogers ----- Original Message ----- From: "SpaceKommander" <jboldway@BEE.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2002 9:29 AM Subject: 1.9L VW Remanufactured engines