Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Apr 2002 10:03:40 -0700
From:         Tromper <evilpig@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Remanufactured engines & Halfshafts (AutoZone)

Caveat Emptor of course When I finally got to my shafts just recently, they were both rotten One, was just worn, and factory original, the other was a rebuild (still had tag when I pulled the motor a while back) and was probably the one the prev owner replace shortly before he sold it to me, I recall him mentioning something about that..the bear chases were cracked missing chunks et al on outer and the inner looked just as beat as the 20 yo fact original admittedly this was about 65k after replacement, so not the end of the world, but low bidders do cut corners, and replacing a shaft in the middle of the outback could be a cherished memory for years to come...probably not an issue but I recall someone here once giving a quote that was something like

"The joy of low price will not outlast the pain of a bad job"

I probably paraphrase, but that's the gist of it.

JT Tromper 1982 Dieselfant II "The Manatee"