Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Apr 2002 17:32:18 -0400
From:         George Jannini <georgejoann@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire Ratings
Comments: To: Rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM

Todd, you stated:

<< On my Vanagon Camper the tire sticker on the door, it states a 97 minimum load rating. 97 load rating translates to a max. load of 1609 lbs. So it would seem that the Kirklands, at a 93 - 1435lb max load, are not sufficient for the Westys >>

That sticker does *not* mandate weight ratings. It merely states the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure for a full-up loaded van, using either of the two types of tires that would have been mounted at the factory when the bus was manufactured. As far as I know, neither of these tires are available now, so whatever you put on there, you might find that you have to play with the tire pressures until you are comfortable with them.

Look at the sticker on the right hand side of the driver's doorjamb. It tells you the maximum the van and its contents can weigh, (GVWR) including how much the front axle and rear axles are allowed to carry. (GAWR)

For an '89 Westfalia, the front axle GAWR is 2646lbs and the rear axle GAWR is 2866. Maximum weight for the bus and all its cargo, including passengers is 5160lbs. (wonder why the two axle weights don't add up) Anyway, doing the math tells me that your 1435lb, load range C *light truck tire* with a load index 93 is sufficient, IF, and only IF you never, ever overload the bus.

In our case, with two adults, a cat and what seems to be a medium load, I'm feel quite comfortable with 95LI light truck tires, C rated, 1515lbs maximum load at 50 PSI.

George/ATL '89 Westy, Wernher