Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Apr 2002 17:09:56 -0700
From:         Eric Unrau <eunrau@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Clutch Problem?
Comments: To: Chris Stann <ChrisS@INFORMS.COM>

OK, so I finally got a chance to take a close look at my clutch today:

1) Brake fluid was at the "MAX" mark, exactly where it was when I checked it 3 or 4 months ago. No leaking fluid on or under the carpet near the master cylinder.

2) I crawled under the van and had my helper pump the clutch. 1st time down the slave barely moved; 2nd time a bit more; 3rd a bit more; and so on, but at best, it only moved the lever about 5-7 mm. No evidence of leaking fluid.

3) Time to bleed the system. At first there were lots of bubbles, and really dirty brake fluid, then as the fluid cleared, the bubbles became less frequent. Problem was, the bubbles wouldn't stop coming. We pumped about 1.25 litres through the system and although the fluid cleared, the bubbles kept coming. At the end, there was no randomness to the bubbles; there seemed to be one big one per cycle at the same position on ever clutch stroke.

So, where is all this air coming from? I don’t think a bad slave would introduce air while bleeding the system, so it must be the master. Of course I'm just guessing here, so if you mechanically minded folks out there on the list could give me some more advice, it would appreciated.

One other thing. After bleeding the system, crawled under to have another look and the clutch lever is moving 12-15mm, this seems good, but noticed that the whole slave unit flexes quite a bit as it pushes the lever. Is this normal?

Thanks all.

Eric

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Eric Unrau eunrau@yahoo.ca ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<snip>At times, it seemed that the clutch was not working at all; while pulling into a gas station I was trying to shift out of 4th and managed to stall the engine with the clutch pedal fully depressed. Eventually I learned that double, triple, quadruple clutching improved my shifting success rate, and constant clutch pumping at a standstill would allow me to get into 1st when necessary. <snip>

Eric,

A few things to check based on my experience, and I am sure others will add:

1. Brake fluid level - is it too low? Air may have gotten into the system. 2. Have friend press clutch and check hydraulic clutch action at the transmission. Are things moving like they should? 3. You may have air in the system - bleed. 4. Your slave cylinder maybe bad or going bad - check and replace. Fairly easy except for that ONE bolt...

I'll leave the rest to the list.

Chris,

'85 Westy