Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Apr 2002 21:33:45 -0700
From:         Rodney Kindlund <rodney@RODKRAFTSTUDIO.COM>
Subject:      Re: worst cars - van? (long-ish)
Comments: To: jch@vnet.net
Comments: cc: fullmoon@hville.net

--- Jim Henry <jch@vnet.net> wrote: > Better yet, we should insist that they fly down to > Everybus2002 and get the real story.<<snip>>

Well, I took Jim's advice and wrote a positive note to the Car Talk Guys and asked them or challenged them to join us at Everybus. I doubt if they make it, though. Anyone coming to NC from New Jersey or the area where Click and Clack broadcast from? Anyway, I attached my note to them so y'all could see my passionate reply. Hope they have a sense of humor, too. Peace, love, and vee-dubyas........Rodney ---------- Can you spell V-O-L-K-S-W-A-G-E-N V-A-N-A-G-O-N?

Dear Mr. Click and Mr. Clack;

Your recent "beauty contest" for the dubious title of the Millennium's Worst Ten Cars left some of us perplexed. You see, when you sponsor such an event, it would be good to have some research to fall back on. I would venture a guess that the Volkswagen van-owners from split-window buses, to bay-window buses, and including the Vanagons have logged more miles in our beloved vans than any other single auto manufacturer (except maybe miltary vehicles). The Volkswagen van has withstood the test of time since 1950, and although Volkswagenwerk AG is still producing the Eurovan, that adds up to over 50 years of VW van history. Many of us agree that they are rather humble-looking and homely, but hey, no one is going to come along and steal my VW van. That's automobile security, man! I have seen VW vans that have been restored from the 50's that are as collectable as any car on the market and are worth at least five figures. Now maybe your "Worst Cars of the Millennium" was kind of a joke for a laugh from middle America and I guess that's one on us, but our VW vans are pretty special vehicles. There are many dedicated VW van owners out in the world that keep these machines running, even if replacement parts can be very hard to find. I have always thought that Volkswagen of America (VWoA) has made a right pretty penny off all the people (now approaching retirement) who purchased VWs in the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's. We raised our families camping in VW vans and there are many younger couple and families in 2002 who are not afraid to be seen in and camp with their families in their VW vans. Sheesh! I am sure we all not only kept VWoA alive in the 1970’s, but that they prospered, as well. If they were still making parts for some of the older vans, they could probably make another fortune because VW owners spend the money to keep their "beauties" running and on the road as daily drivers and camping vehicles. As you can see, the general-run-of-the-mill VW vanagoneer is passionate about these humble vehicles. We love them, we fix them when they are sick, and we keep them on the road as a part of 50 years of American automobilia! (Flags are waving now, guys!) And now, for the research end of your Car Talk Show: this is an open invitation, nay, a challenge, that Mr. Click and Mr. Clack attend one of the premier Volkswagen van events in the USofA; namely called EVERYBUS 2002. This event will sport about every year of VW van from the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, and maybe some 00’s in the great State of North Carolina beginning on April 19 and ending April 21, 2002 near Greensboro, NC. Now I could go on-and-on, but if y’all just take a look at the website for Everybus, you can even find directions to get there. Maybe NPR will spend the bucks and make sure y’all get a chance to get some real research done on the humble VW van. And guys, if y’all can’t get NPR to finance your trip to the State of North Carolina later this month, just send me an email and I’ll see if we can take up a collection to help you get here. Better yet, just look at the carabus information….... ….c-a-r-a-b-u-s….. ....….that’s not a car and a bus that’s been welded together, okay? Anyway, look at the “carabus lists” on the Everybus website and there is probably someone headed down this way from New Jersey or close to the area y’all hail from. And that Everybus website is: www.mindspring.com/~ncbus/eb02. Hope to see y’all at Everybus; hey, why not just do your show “live” from Everybus? (Just a thought). Thank you for your unbiased coverage of automobile news……Rodney

===== Rodney Kindlund RodKraft Studio (Leather-Art) rodney@rodkraftstudio.com www.rodkraftstudio.com ---------------------------------------------------------- '84 VW Wolfsburg Weekender "VanGo(gh)"