Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Apr 2002 23:34:43 -0500
From:         Budd Premack <bpremack@MN.RR.COM>
Subject:      HELP!!  What is the State of my Title?
Comments: cc: Cary Chiang <cchiang1@yahoo.com>

Can anyone direct me to a source to title an 85 Westy, which has SERIOUS title problems?

The Background....

Last year I obtained an eBay van from a CA dealer. The body was fine, but it had severe engine problems, so it was towed to MN by my trusty 86 Syncro. (Slow and steady wins the race.) Sometime (a long time) later it ran fine after engine surgery.

The CA dealer directed me to apply for a MN title once the van was operational in MN. Because a non-functioning vehicle cannot pass the smog test, a CA dealer cannot sell it to an individual. I arranged for a transfer via Bill of Sale from the CA dealer to a MN dealer who is a friend. The plan was for the MN dealer to get a MN title and then transfer it to me.

The Problem....

The van had been junked in CA, resulting in the CA DMV canceling its title. The CA DMV wrote me a letter indicating this title status. (Want to guess how easy that was to procure?) Last summer (with the CA DMV letter and Bills of Sale in hand) my friendly MN dealer was able to obtain MN RV plates (which expired 2-28- 02) while submitting a request for a MN title. However, after a wait of several months, MN would not issue a new MN title as there was obviously still a record of the CA title. (After a canceled title has been stale for at least 3 years, MN will waive this requirement, but who wants to wait!) MN indicated that I needed to get the title reissued by CA, as MN wouldn't issue a title for a vehicle that had (that is the operative word) a title in any other state..

In order to obtain a reissued title, CA stated I needed a CA Junk Receipt and Bills of Sale from all interested parties in the chain of title. I already had all the requisite Bills of Sale. (Hey, do you think I am a complete dummy for buying a van without a title? All who answered "yes" can commence laughing promptly.) After numerous unsuccessful attempts at securing the Junk Receipt from the CA dealer, I was able to locate the prior dealer, who had officially junked the van and then sold it to my dealer. The "junk" dealer was extremely cooperative and provided me with a copy of the elusive Junk Receipt.

Further communication with the Special Field Office of the CA DMV resulted in their following cooperation in my efforts to revive the CA title:

1. Permission was granted to avoid the smog test (as the van was to be only titled, but not registered, in CA, as the intention was to register it in MN, which has no smog test).

2. Permission was granted to have the brake and light inspection done by an official state inspection outside of CA. (Naturally, MN has no vehicle inspection of any sort, so I guess I could go to IA to find an official state inspector.)

3. However (We all knew there was going to be a however, didn't we?), the regular vehicle inspection could only be done by a CA DMV official or by a member of the CA Highway Patrol (CHIPS). Unfortunately, they don't make house calls. (Apparently, the rules for inspection of previously junked vehicles are strict in CA.)

The Solution....

This saga leads to several interesting choices:

1. Transport the van to CA for the vehicle inspection. Of course it can't be driven there as it has no current license plates.

2. Park the van for 2 more years to comply with the MN 3 year rule.

3. Drive the van with plates "borrowed" from a junked van of similar vintage, and possibly attempt to switch all of the serial numbers. (This is known as the witness protection system.)

4. Arrange for an accident, and collect the fair market value from my insurance company. (Since all of us Listees know how fair and generous insurance companies typically are in valuing 15 year old Westys, this technique is a leading candiate if one can omit any ethics issues.)

5. Ask the List for help in finding a cooperative venue where the van can be titled and then re-registered in MN.

HELP!!!!! HELP!!!!!

Can anybody hear a voice crying in the governmental bureaucratic wilderness?

p.s. For those of you who remember me from my past Listee life, please note my new email address: bpremack@mn.rr.com

Budd Premack 86 Syncro (and a host of others) Minneapolis, MN (Land of Sky-Blue Waters)