Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Apr 2002 12:28:27 -0700
From:         Christopher Berchin <ctb1@PEOPLEPC.COM>
Subject:      Benefits of a rear sway bar?

> 2. a rear anti-roll bar was a factory option. The trailing arms (for that option) have mounting brackets attached.

Not in the US, from what I've seen. No brackets in the US, no option.

Other comments: I've been running my '84 GL without a front bar for some time now. The end link broke, and I haven't fixed it yet because on the tires that are on it (car tires that don't work well for the van), it handles very well as-is, but with some high lean angles up front. When I put on different tires last fall, suddenly the van handled very differently. Turns became made up of lots of small turns - turn in, turn out, turn in, turn out, etc. The new tires definitely had oversteer compared to the old ones, and more than I was comfortable with. Keep in mind, I race shifter karts, so I'm pretty used to oversteer. So you *can* get to where you don't want to be with a Vanagon, and I don't want to be there trying to catch the tail with the slow steering and big vehicle. I'm waiting to mount my new tires (15" Agilis) before I determine what front bar I'm going to put on mine (19mm or 21mm factory - I have both), and then if I want a rear bar. When I got my van with the 21mm front bar on it, it understeered like a pig. It is much nicer without the front bar on these car tires (I'm back on the car tires for reasons other than the oversteer issue - I could have fixed that easily), but who knows what will happen once I have the Agilis on there.

Bottom line - be careful, and make sure you evaluate the vehicle at the speeds you intend to travel. A neutral van around town can become an oversteering one on the highway.

Chris ________________________________________________ PeoplePC: It's for people. And it's just smart. http://www.peoplepc.com