Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Apr 2002 13:08:59 -0800
From:         Fryday <fryday@CALIFORNIA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Buying Canadian

I have successfully imported my '87 Golf GTI from Quebec to California, and faced the problems Ben mentions below (but managed to get through them). I have a doc I wrote about the whole story. Anyone who wants it please send me a quick e-mail!

A bientot,

Philippe

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 16:39:43 -0400 Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA> wrote: > http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/ > > That should help. > > Ben 87 GL > http://pages.infinit.net/eurokit/ > > the following is a post i found on www.westfalia.org > > Watch Out! > The worries are not worth the troubles in importing Westies to the U.S. > from Canada ( & Bugs from Mexico). I recently imported my dream 1978 Westy > in the spring of 2001 from BC to the US, it can be a confusing process but > if your "customs savy" you should have no problem. Even if you want to pick > it up yourself and drive it across the border the process has to > authenticated so it can be registered in the States. > First, before you even put an offer down on the Westy you should speak to a > Vehicle Import Broker. This person is who you have to go through to take > care of all the environmental standard, authentication and paperwork, and > also coordinates with your Importer who you will meet at the border to pick > up your private commercial manifest that you will give to the Customs > Officer upon entering the US. > Also their are alot of Catch 22's and red tape in vehicle importation > politics. It's how country's can make a little cash$ on the side. For > instance, if the Westy your interested in is 25 years old or younger it > must compy to Dept. of Transportation standards here in the US. Like a > metric speedo is against the law here in hte States. It must have either a > dual KM/MPH or a MPH only. IT MUST BE CONVERTED BEFORE ENTRY INTO THE > STATES! Also Canadian and Mexican Emissions Laws are more laxed than they > are in the States, Yes Canada has laxed emissions laws! So if its a smokey > pipe it won't pass here and therefore you will not be able to licence it in > the states. > Also, beware! i heard that the US is supposed to impound cars for a month > if they are not up to "American" standards, So please have all conversions > done before you go. > And one more thing! you also need to know the month and year your Westy was > made before you can even think about importing it from wherever!