Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Apr 2002 01:04:04 +0200
From:         Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>
Subject:      Re: Some good info about E-code headlamps & "City Lights"
Comments: To: Chris Stann <ChrisS@INFORMS.COM>

snipped---- I thought European city lights were for use at night in the city end snipped---------

Nope... that I have NEVER seen here, in any of the cities I have been in. In Austria you would most likely get a ticket.

But one fun thing that we do here with our "city lights" is to park somewhere kooky, in pitch black darkness, like on a corner, or near an entrance... and we turn the car off, but leave the blinker ON for the side where our car is sticking out in possible traffic.

That way the "city light" glows on the front corner, and a tail light on the rear corner.. and hopefully nobody slams you because they didn't see your tail or nose sticking out.

And speaking of driving with your "city lights" on at night... last year I was in Egypt, and the people all drove there with their lights.. OFF.. yes, turned off, at night (granted, there were street lights illuminating the roads there). It was rather alarming to see though, and I asked a few locals and they said that the drivers save money by not having to buy the bulbs so often. Whether this is true or not (insane, if you ask me) there were taxis, and trucks, and passenger cars.. all zooming around with no lights on.

RSF

Robert S. Fish Salzburg, Austria 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender 1987 Golf Cabriolet 1991 Golf

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Stann" <ChrisS@INFORMS.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 12:45 AM Subject: Re: Some good info about E-code headlamps & "City Lights"