Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:05:26 EDT
From:         Peter Krogh <VW85Westy@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Broken New Engine, What is fair resolution?

As I am very near the end of my warranty period(s), and the rising coolant mystery can be attributed to nothing other than a combustion chamber breech, I need to make a decision about the van and its new engine. I am caught between two parties, both of whom point the finger at the other, and I am trying to find a fair course of action.

The Story: New Custom Rebuilt Motor last summer, ran fine for 5000 miles, and then rising coolant showed up. Had it bled, retorqued, changed out most cooling system parts, but still did not fix the problem. Had the original engine Swapper pull heads and send back to Rebuilder who said that the heads were fine and to reinstall. Reinstalled heads, still same problem. I have tried everything I can think of to fix, but no success. Air enters cooling system during highway driving. No loss of coolant at all, system pressure tests fine, and is running at normal temps, fourth expansion tank cap. Seems like it can only be a mating problem between the heads and block (less likely since head was remachined during R&R, and problem was EXACTLY the same after R&R) or, more likely, a hairline crack in a head. My guess is that it only opens at operating temps.

I have paid about $1000 for engine swap, $2400 for rebuild, $600 for Diagnostics, $1350 for Head R&R, for a total of at least $5350 for an engine that must be bled every 60 -100 miles.

This is what I intend to propose to the interested parties. I realize they are small business (like me) who cannot afford to throw money at my van, but each assured me, prior to engagement of their services, that they warranty their work.

I would like the Swappper to pull the engine and send it back to the Rebuilder, and I would like the Rebuilder to put new heads on the motor and send it back. To shorten the process, I could ask the Rebuilder to just send me another engine while my old one is on the way back to him. Both of these businesses will likely tell me that the other guy did it (SODDI Defense), but I think each of these businesses is potentially liable for much more that I am asking. I would even be willing to consider paying for the expenses (aside from the new heads) in this, although I don't feel as though I should.

Why the Rebuilder should do his work for free: It seems the most likely cause of this problem is a crack in the head. Nearly every cooling system part has been changed, yet the problem remains EXACTLY the same.

Why the Swapper should do the work for free: When I paid him for the head R&R, he ended up billing me $600 more than previously agreed, because he felt that the cylinders had to come out . His quote to me was "I need to do it right, because if there's a problem next time, it's on me." Of course he did not include a defective head in that scenario, as that is arguably the responsibility of the part provider.

Questions: Does this seem fair? Anybody have a last comment on any other causes of air entering cooling system?

Thanks for your time, Peter